Recipe feedback, please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave73ok

Reaction score
Me and a barkeeper friend are starting an informal (for now) homebrew club, and tomorrow I'll be doing a brew to show people how it's done. Yeah, I am kind of nervous....but I'll make it.

HERE is the recipe I was thinking of going with. What do you guys think? Be honest....I won't cry. :)
Thanks in advance.

That recipe sucks and your new homebrew club will be a failure!!!!!

I kid, I kid...

here's my thoughts:

way too much carapils. IF I use it, I use 0.25lb for a 5 gallon batch

I would personally cut your 30 minute addition, and just double up on the 60 minute addition, although then you'll definitely be in IPA range on the IBUs

Thanks, I like the look of that. Do you think the Crystal/Vienna is sufficient? Or should I can Vienna and use more base malt?

Thanks, I like the look of that. Do you think the Crystal/Vienna is sufficient? Or should I can Vienna and use more base malt?

I personally like to use ~1lb (for 5 gallons) of Vienna or Munich in almost all of my IPAs or APAs - same with crystal, I try to keep it to a pound at most per 5 gallon batch. If you want a little more sweetness or color you could use 60L or 80L instead of 40L

Yeah, I should have bought some Munich the last time I was at Midwest, but I didn't think to. I've been happy using Vienna in my IPA's as well. Thanks for the input. :)

Back