INDY Specialty Malt Group Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Post your interest here!

Here is the CURRENT pricing. If we can come up with a large quantity we may be able to get a better deal. PLEASE POST INTEREST HERE. I will update this OP sheet as I get more interest.

If we do this buy... why not throw in yeast as well? Stock up, BMW has great pricing on that as well and you wont be paying to ship anything extra.

GrainBuy2.bmp

For comparison, here are the great grain sale prices per pound.

Carapils (5lb) 1.60
20L (5lb) 1.50
40L (5lb) 1.50
60L (5lb) 1.70
80L (5lb) 1.50
Special B (5lb) 1.60
Aromatic (5lb) 1.60
Biscuit (5lb) 1.60
Roasted Barley (5lb) 1.70
Chocolate (5lb)1.70
Vienna (5lb) 1.99
Munich (5lb) 1.99
Wheat (sack) .72
Rahr 2-Row (sack) .72
Maris Otter (sack) 1.13
Pilsen (sack) 1.00

Munich (sack) 1.14
Golden Promise (sacK) 1.04

hmmm, how good of a deal? and what group hop purchase are you referencing?

This is for brewers who can pick up thier items in Indianapolis only. We did a group hop buy and bought 50 pounds of hops for $1 an ounce this summer. Looking to put together some buying power for specialty malts.

I'm in on this.

Thanks good sir... if I can get a few ppl together it will be cool. Basically I am buying about 50 pounds of various specialties anyhow.

At the VERY LEAST we can split flat rate shipping...

I'm interested.

Cool guys... when I get the GF great grain sale pricing, I will have comparisons for you.

This wont be a 75% off deal like the hops were, but we can save a few bucks by pooling our buying power.

BMW seems to have superior pricing and shipping. You can go to Eds site and view the pricing on the specialty malts. I will get a spreadsheet up here this week with the varieties that I will be buying (10-15 types) and we can go from there.

Ideally I would like to get 7-10 people involved and purchase between 20-40 pounds of each malt.

Like I said, this wont be like the killer deal that we got on hops this summer, but it will beat any pricing that I have seen out there, shipping will be negligible at a flat rate of $6.99 for the order.

UPDATE UPDATE... we need interest in this!

BMW has better pricing shipped than anyone out there, I mean, you are in front of a computer, go look.

GF has great sack prices on base malts ($36-$40), but thier per pound pricing is rediculous.($2 plus??)

If we can drum up some interest and some quantity, we may be able to better the advertised prices at BMW, just sayin. Ed is waiting to see what we can put together as far as quantity. Ideally, Id like to see 10-15 varieties and anywhere from 200-400 pounds.

We can do this, think about it... if you buy your grains pound by pound, recipe by recipe over the next 12 months, how much $$ are you wasting on shipping? If we can get a qty. discount... then again, how much are you wasting?

We can beat LHBS pricing. Ed already beats anyones shipped grain pricing... and we may be able to amass enough volume to better that price.

Between this and the hop buy, we can really drive down all grain ingredient pricing for us Indy area brewers.

Here's what I'm looking for.

5# 40L, 5# 60L, 5lb 80L, 5# Vienna, 10# Munich, 8# Wheat, 2# Biscuit, 2# Aromatic, 2# Carapils, 2# Chocolate, 1# Roasted B, 1# Special B, 20# Belgian Pale

Right now it looks like there isnt enough interest in this... but, I am posting another thread to go another route for BULK BASE MALT. Look for the Indy Bulk Base Malt thread.

I have effectively given up on this idea. I am getting 40 pounds at GF this week sometime when I make it home.

ok - you still wanna split an MO sack?

I am skipping the base grains at GF...

I have a guy here that is driving to Chicago to get my grains from Mid Country malt and he is taking half a sack of MO.

The only thing I have left to sell off is like 10-15 pounds of Vienna that I am getting for $.66/pound

I ended up getting 182 pounds of grain for $130, tax included.

Between the 40 pounds of specialty I am going to get at GF and the bulk malts from Mid Country, I averaged $.90/pound for 222.5 pounds of malt, tax and shipping included.

After this and the hops I bought this summer, I can get a typical 1.055 beer brewed for about $10-$12 with yeast.

Back