Quick Mash/Batch Sparge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugleBrew

Reaction score
I used Bobby_M's double batch sparge for my first all grain. I'm wondering, how often does the mash need to be stirred? Does the speed you draw off the first runnings mater for efficiency? How long should each batch sparge sit before drawing it off. How should it be stirred? Again, how quickly should it be drawn off?

Thanks for the help

I used Bobby_M's double batch sparge for my first all grain. I'm wondering, how often does the mash need to be stirred?

You should stir the mash before each runoff, never during.

Does the speed you draw off the first runnings mater for efficiency?

It shouldn't. Most batch spargers runoff as quick as their MLT will drain.

How long should each batch sparge sit before drawing it off.

A matter of debate. Most let it sit for a few (some as much as 10) minutes after stirring in sparge water.

How should it be stirred?

The batch spargers who get good efficiency will tell you that stirring REALLLLLY good before your sparges is critical. I suggest stirring for a minute or two longer than you think it good. If you do this, you shouldn't really need to let it sit before draining IMO. ;)

Yup, everything he said. I stir my sparge infusion in for about 5 minutes and immediately start vorlauf (recirculate at least 2 quarts) and then immediately drain as fast as it will flow. I don't wait anymore time than it takes to stir and would say the only benefit to waiting would be if your crush is too coarse. Then again, I'd rather be stirring that whole time than waiting.

Yup, everything he said. I stir my sparge infusion in for about 5 minutes and immediately start vorlauf (recirculate at least 2 quarts) and then immediately drain as fast as it will flow. I don't wait anymore time than it takes to stir and would say the only benefit to waiting would be if your crush is too coarse. Then again, I'd rather be stirring that whole time than waiting.
How long do you let it drain for? After vorlauf, it initally comes out filling the tubing, but at some point it 'sucks air' and then it just trickles out. How long do you let it trickle for before calling it done? It seems to just keep coming out (albeit very slowly).

When I am sparging I let that sucker trickle until it gives me as much wort as I put in water. It can take awhile, but I figure the grain has absorbed what it can and whatever my system lose is has already been accounted for, so I should get the same amount back.

Back