Wiring Single PID and Timer to a single buzzer/flasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olive Drab

Reaction score
Im making a 1 pot BIAB system running off of an AUBER PID and also having an AUBER timer in the control box. The diagram I have has both items directly going to the buzzer. If I want to run the PID w/buzzer for a certain temp and running the timer at the same time, can I just put a 2 or 3 way switch (PID/nothing/Timer) between the devices and the flasher/buzzer or is there a better way to go about wiring this?
The reason I want to do this is because of my procedure. The PID will set off the alarm when the mashing temp is reached. The temp is maintained and the recirc will be going I dont want a slight temp change to set off the buzzer, just the timer.

A 3-position rotary switch with 2 NO contact blocks will provide the functionality you describe above allowing (PID/OFF/Timer) setting for the alarm.

With a 2-way switch you can provide an alarm enable/disable function and a wired "OR" circuit by connecting the voltage output from both the PID AND the timer to the buzzer. This will cause the buzzer to operate when command by the PID OR the timer.

I would think you would want the ability for the alarm to be triggered by the PID if it hit an alarm condition, or by the timer, instead of being confined to one at a time (exclusive OR). I believe Kal wires the PID alarm and Timer alarm in series to the light and buzzer, so that would be the way to do it.

I have my temp alarm and timer alarm wired so either one can set off a bell/flasher. Whichever goes off first is then turned off via a toggle switch so I don't have to listen to the bell while I'm waiting for the other. The timer alarm and its toggle switch are wired in series with one another. The same goes for the temp alarm and its toggle switch. The two alarm/toggle switch units are wired in parallel with one another. The entire alarm/toggle switch assembly is wired in series into the hot/positive side of the flasher/bell power circuit. The flasher and bell are wired in a parallel circuit.

Back