Red Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razyrsharpe

Reaction score
i just got through brewing my latest red ale. in the late nineties, it was the best, most consistent recipe i produced. today's batch only had 1 ounce of Mt. Hood hops to be divided at the beginning of a 30 min. boil and then the remainder at the last two min. to me, this seemed like a low amt. of hops.
my research on red ales found recipes with quite a wide range... anything from 1 oz. to 4.5 oz.s of hops were common.
my question: why the disparate hop amounts in a red? anyone have any insight? thanks!

I was working on a recipe for Irish Red the other night and saw the guidelines for IBUs. This is not suppose to be a hoppy beer but more a malty beer. Like Scottish ales, the hops are for bittering with additions early in the boil and none for aroma. However, this is only if you want to make a beer that fits the guidelines. A lot of homebrewers experiment or like beers more hoppy as DB says.

Dr Malt:mug:

I'm a SNOB and think a Left-Coast IPA should take the enamel off your teeth, but Reds are about malt. I actually have a few recipes that only used 3/4 of an ounce.

Gentlemen,

Interesting in that the carb thing was touched upon
in relation to the red malt thing.
Hmmmm

I was just thinking that I don't really like carbination
other than enough to, you know, 3/4 cup max.
I like beer-ale,
but don't like store bought beer
because it is excessively carbinated.
ie. it makes my gut hurt.

I use pale almost exclusivley
but this next 'winter time' brewing season
I will brew me up some 'mostly red' with a
reduced amount of priming sugar and hops too..
This is an interesting idea.

Thanks

Lets git ignert and go coon hunting!

Knife

Back