Clearing after clearing (a skeeterpee question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tw0fish

Reaction score
Definitely neglected my skeeterpee in primary. When I checked the gravity yesterday, it was not only dry but it had begun to clear. Wasn't all the way though - the top half was starting to look good.

Still, I wanted to rack all five+ gallons onto the sorbate/sulfite and keep the process rolling. It's in my secondary now, happy as a clam - but racking and degassing has clouded the whole batch again.

Will it clear faster this time (hopefully stuff has coagulated and weighs more!) or am I starting from ground zero again? I don't mind a cloudy brew, but I'd like to have a bottle or two that looks really sharp to give as gifts. I'm concerned because I know I have another racking to go (once it's cleared, to see that the fermentation hasn't taken off again) and don't want to hinder the process more.

For the record- I did not use sparkolloid, just gravity!

You can still use sparklolloid. Sometimes I use it on skeeter pee if it is not clearing fast enough. I never add it until it is 4 or 5 weeks along.

Thanks stujol for not being an adbot :)

I guess what I'm asking is, I still have to backsweeten and probably degas.. should I bother waiting until it's cleared to do so? There will obviously be vigorous stirring involved you see!

Back