Question about aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just converted my 9 galllon aluminum pot to have a ball valve (successful!) to use as my HLT and after the test boil to test for leaks (again, successful!) I noticed a few small areas where it looked like the passive oxidized layer had been removed. The entire inside of the pot is that dark grey that you want, except these few small areas that now look like brand new aluminum. I did another boil today to try and build it back up in those areas and nothing, still bright and shiney.

So I guess I have 2 questions:

1) Any ideas what would have caused this and why a 1hr boil won't fix it? and

2) Given that I conducted two 1+ hour boils in the pt, are those shiney areas still oxidized, but just don't look it?

Thanks

Nick

just because one area is relatively more shiney than another is no indication that it does or doesnt have an oxide layer on it. if you boil water in the pot for 1 or more hours, it definately has a layer of AlOx on it.

dont worry about it.

Back