My Homebrew Vid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonnieJ

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this, but I brewed (and bottled!) and videotaped yesterday while my husband watched our 8 week old daughter :)

[ame="http://youtu.be/P779Fq0bGVU"]Brewing with Bonnie[/ame]

Cheers. I would have been drinking homebrew while I brewed but I'm all out :(

I spent $14.37 for this batch. What do your LME recipes run?? Also, I ended up with a hydrometer reading of 1.060 when the recipe (5.5 lbs amber LME, 2 lbs steeped grains) called for an OG of 1.038. :scratch head: I took the reading at 63 F. I can't figure out what happened. Is there someplace where I can calculate what it should really be? (and try to figure out how it got so high). Could it be because I steeped the grains too long (ended up being 40 minutes) or squeezed the grain bags too much??

Are you sure your wort was completely mixed when you took the sample? It's quite common to have a higher OG reading than actual OG, because it's tough to completely get it mixed into solution..

Are you sure your wort was completely mixed when you took the sample? It's quite common to have a higher OG reading than actual OG, because it's tough to completely get it mixed into solution..

Ooh! That's possible. I poured it over ice (I know it's not considered up-and-up, generally speaking) and sort of rocked it around once it was closed. I didn't even think of mixing it up at that point, since I had aerated it by pouring the wort from a fair height.

Bother. Will it mix eventually, do you think? It's bubbling away. Way more than any of my other brews have. Maybe it's eating a sugary spot!?

Yeah, it will mix up and ferment fine. You can use any brewing calculators to get a pretty solid OG based on that recipe if you want.

Seems like the 5.5lbs of LME was more than what was needed for a low gravity of 1.038. I think it'll be better myself.

Do you know your final volume for certain? If it was for sure 5 gallons then you should end up right near 1038 based on my quick calcs. My guess is it was just not mixed well when you measured.

Liked the video and the out takes at the end!

Latest posts

Back