Need quick response about yeast please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trufleshufle13

Reaction score
a friend of mine i got into brewing just called me saying he bought a german octoberfest extract kit. he is half way into the boil and just read that it should be lagered.

the yeast is Brewferm lager yeast. not sure on any of the ingridents other than that but he really doesnt have the equipment to lager. does anyone have any experience with this yeast and brewing at ale temps.

it is his 3rd batch and he says his first 2 fermented at around 64 degrees. i know it wont come out exactly the way it is suppose to but does any one know what to expect out of this.

he says he might have a room in his house that is a little cooler and then can put it in his garage for the rest of the lagering but im thinking he will get really inconsistent temps and should probably just brew it as an ale if it is possible.

any and all help would be awesome thanks

If you or he has any clean fermenting ale yeast around I'd use that instead and try to keep the temperature in the low 60s. This should give you a pretty clean fermentation without having to lager the beer.

I haven't done a lager before, so take this at face value....but I think this is probably the safest bet if you can manage it.

thats what i said, but being it only his 3rd batch he doesnt buy extra and he lives too far from me. its lager yeast or nothing at this point

trufleshufle13 said:
thats what i said, but being it only his 3rd batch he doesnt buy extra and he lives too far from me. its lager yeast or nothing at this point

Well then I would say lager yeast! However, if he wanted to do it as an ale, I've had great sucess with WLP011

Back