Can't identify aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boleslaus

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first recipe that I tweaked myself. Its an extract pumpkin beer with some crystal malt, light dme, and WLP060. Fermentation got going real strong quickly and then after about 48 hrs I noticed a pungent aroma coming from my swamp cooler. I'm keeping the water around 63-65 and the beer is around 68 right now. I've read other posts that sometimes nasty yeast fart aromas can be present but will go away. However, to me this smells like nasty bananas. Is my "clean fermenting" ale yeast held at under 70 degrees really producing that much esters, or am I not identifying it correctly. Could it be DMS?

Bananas are a common estery smell. 68 is still within ale fermentation temps, but most ale yeasts (excepting maybe Belgians) do best a bit lower. Your beer will surely be fine, but may need a tad longer to really finish. Maybe another week or two. I. Try to keep my ales near 64 or so.
Edit: typoed bananas of all thing lol. Also I agree w wonder bread. Fart smell is sulphur, another common yeast smell. ESP at the higher temps.

Ok good, well I have plenty of time to let this sit, so as long as the sulphur will mellow out thats fine by me. And I'll probably try to lower it another few degrees. I was just going by White Labs recommendation of 68-72 degrees.

Unless it smells like hops! Yummmmmm... :rockin:

Yea my first few smelled strongly of hops, so I was just curious if it would settle out. I'm proud of myself for not running on here and screaming, "HELP HELP NEWBIE WITH A POSSIBLE INFECTION!!!!".

:ban:
And this banana is appropriate for this topic.

What you smell is fear! Fear that there is something wrong with that beer. Do something to take you mind off things and leave it alone. I hear knitting is very relaxing. Take up your needles and let your mind go blank.

It's really hard to judge a beer at this stage, just because you are smelling something out the airlock, doesn't mean it is actually IN your beer, it may simply be going out the airlock, like Rhino farts or sulphur smells given off by lager yeasts or the making of apfelwein. They don't actually stick around.

Also, it really is hard to judge a beer until it's been about 6 weeks in the bottle. Just because you taste (or smell) something in primary or secondary DOESN'T mean it will be there when the beer is fully conditioned (that's also the case with kegging too.)

The thing to remember though is that if you are smelling or tasting this during fermentation not to worry. During fermentation all manner of stinky stuff is given off (ask lager brewers about rotten egg/sulphur smells, or Apfelwein makers about "rhino farts,") like we often say, fermentation is often ugly AND stinky and PERFECTLY NORMAL.

It's really only down the line, AFTER the beer has been fermented (and often after it has bottle conditioned even,) that you concern yourself with any flavor issues if they are still there.

I think too many new brewers focus to much on this stuff too early in the beer's journey. And they panic unnecessarily.

A lot of the stuff you smell/taste initially more than likely ends up disappearing either during a long primary/primary & secondary combo, Diacetyl rests and even during bottle conditioning.

If I find a flavor/smell, I usually wait til it's been in the bottle 6 weeks before I try to "diagnose" what went wrong, that way I am sure the beer has passed any window of greenness.

Lagering is a prime example of this. Lager yeast are prone to the production of a lot of byproducts, the most familiar one is sulphur compounds (rhino farts) but in the dark cold of the lagering process, which is at the minimum of a month (I think many homebrewers don't lager long enough) the yeast slowly consumes all those compounds which results in extremely clean tasting beers if done skillfully.

Ales have their own version of this, but it's all the same. Time is your friend.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back