maple syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satori

Reaction score
I'm sure this is the wrong topic to post this in. I just started my first real mead, but I noticed I have lots of maple syrup in the fridge. Does it work the same way as honey?

If one uses maple syrup instead of honey is it still mead?

I've tried reading several threads about doing this but it seems pretty convoluted to me. I can't seem to follow along.

I'd like to try this, can anyone direct me to the appropriate topic, please?

Hello. I not sure on whether there is a specific thread for this topic or not but I'll tell ya about my experience.
A few months back I made a Bochet and decided to augment it with about 5 oz of dark amber maple syrup. So far what I've read is that about 2/3 of the sugars in maple syrup will not ferment normally.
Well, I just racked it into secondary after it went clear and what would normally be a dry mead (only used 3 lbs with EC-1118) is nice and mildly sweet. According to the hydrometer it has almost fully attenuated (1.001 ish). And there is a nice prononuced maple flavor along with the honey and carmel notes.

I guess my 2 cents is that if your gonna use maple syrup you might want to consider it as an addition rather then the main ingredient. Hope this helps a little. :mug:

I've never thought of this until now, and now I can't stop thinking about it ... LOL! Thanks a lot ... :rockin:

I just Googled "maple wine" and "maple syrup wine" and found a lot of hits including a few recipes. I also learned that this has a name: "acerglyn", which varies from 100% maple syrup "mead", to proper mead made from a combination of honey and maple. Searching "acerglyn" on this site turns up quite a few hits. You might want to start here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/acerglyn-61136/

John Palmer's comparisons of the solid vs. water content of maple syrup as opposed to honey indicate that ounce for ounce, maple has more water and less sugar than honey does. Therefore, you would need more maple syrup to make a batch of 100%-maple acerglyn than you would need honey to make a mead of the same gravity/ABV. Some of the recipes I'm seeing call for as much as 2-2.5 gallons of maple.

I'm curious to know how this turns out if you do it. Good luck!

I have a 3 gallon batch of acerglyn aging in my crawl space. I am looking forward to it being ready to drink. In the batch I used 4.4 lbs. of honey, and 3 quarts of maple syrup. It fermented from 1.133 to 1.004. I had to backsweeten as well. I didn't notice any of the sugars in the syrup not fermenting. Try it if you want.

Back