First Brew Tomorrow.. help me out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivot

Reaction score
Hi all. Ive been researching this for a loong time now. i bought my equipment today and im finally starting my first brew tomorrow !! I have a few questions though. During my research I came to the conclusion that the primary fermenting bucket would have an airlock on it, but the bucket I purchased at the store does not its just a solid top. is this a problem? There is also no spigot and i would have to bottle my beer with the racking cane, is this tough to do?

Anyways I am using an Amber Ale pre made kit for my first batch, and I was wondering peoples opinions of these kits as well, and whether they are not as good as the alternatives.

You are going to need an airlock or you alternately could leave the lid on loosely so the CO2 escapes. Do you have an airlock? If so then you are going to have to drill a hole in the top for a rubber stopper that will hold the airlock.

It is much easier to bottle out of a bucket with a spigot and the tubing and bottling wand attached but you won't really need that for 2-3 weeks.

I don't know about the kit mentioned. Someone else will be along that might be familiar. Is it a brew in a can kit?

You need an airlock, but you can get by without one if you just set the lid on without tightening it too much. I've had beers in the past that showed no airlock activity, but only because my lid wasn't on very tight. With the CO2 production of fermentation you will get a layer of CO2 that will protect your beer--the lid should keep big particles out. You will want to drill a hole in the lid, get a grommet and airlock for your next beer, though.

The spigot on your primary isn't necessary, I'd get a second bucket that you can use for bottling. It would be far easier to rack to the bottling bucket, than bottle using a racking cane.

I can't help on the kit, though, as I've never made one. I'm sure it will be fine for your first beer. Also, as you may not have an airlock for this brew, I'd give it at least a week, maybe two, of primary fermentation.

Hope that helps, I'm going to bed.

EDIT: Blender said everything I did, almost verbatim.

ok well I did get a secondary fermentor (carboy) and got an airlock with that, so I guess I should put a hole in the top of the bucket and use that airlock for that too ? or does it really matter if I just dont seal the lid all the way rather than use an airlock ?

I'd rather use an airlock, but it's not "required" Like the others said place the lid on and let the yeast do their thing. keep the lid on, the yeast like their privacy and looking in every ten minutes isn't going to help.

My opinion, all-grain makes better beer, but it's more equipment and more work.
Pre-made kits are a great way to start.

+1 on the hole, grommet, and airlock. Your kit likely has everything you need to make decent beer, so don't sweat that. Some other items to consider between now and bottling time...

*Bottling wand.

*Siphon tubing.

*Bottling bucket with spigot.

*Sanitizer (assuming you don't already have plenty).

Remember to keep everything that will come into contact with your beer/wort sanitized, and you will come out with a first beer that will put a smile on your face. And don't be afraid to keep asking questions here. This is a good group and will get you through the rough patches.

I like to put a 1 1/4 inch hole in the bucket lid for a #7 stopper and airlock. A spigot isn't necessary for your fermenter, but I do have a different bucket for bottling that has the spigot - it's much easier for bottling than using a siphon.

If you don't have time to drill the hole before your first batch, just set the sanitized lid on the bucket without snapping it down. That will let gas escape without letting in nasties.

Good luck with your first brew!

One thing that you could do in place of an airlock...

Go to your local hardware store and get some tubing (silicon). Get 5/8 diameter, about 4 feet worth, and a rubber o-ring sized for the hole you will drill. This should be about $1.20 - $1.50 total. Drill a hole in the top of the lid just a bit smaller than the hose, smooth any sharp angles, place the o-ring in the whole and push about 1 inch of the tube into the top. You can then close the lid all the way when it is fermenting, just place the end of the tube that is outside of the fermenter in a bucket of water (milk jug, 2 litre bottle, etc.). Total cost about $1.20 - $1.50. And, you can use this over and over, and once you get more into brewing, it will help avoid blow-offs.

I live right next to a small Ace Hardware and they have these things.

HANG ON!

My very first bucket had a plastic lid with no holes, and no airlock. And most importantly I did not need one.

I can't see yours so I'm not sure. But the key was that the lid was not airtight. It fit snuggly, but didn't pop off when fermentation started. There was at least two gallons of head space.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but if your bucket is like mine then what the guys above have mentioned simply won't work (no offence - they're good ideas). Because my lid wasn't air tight it a blow off tube or airlock wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

Also, I don't have a spigot for bottling. I find a racking cane works fine, but a spigot would be easier for sure.

+1 on picking up a bottling bucket with a spigot and using it just for that purpose.

+1 on drilling out the lid and fitting an air lock, even if you think you might not need it. Better safe than sorry.

Back