Fermenting a Saison and Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briandickens

Reaction score
Brewed Jamil's Specialty Saison (from Brewing Classic Styles) this last weekend. It went really well. I hit my pre-boil gravity dead on for the first time ever. I should have boiled more to get the gravity up to 1.070, but I finished at 1.065, so good enough by me. Anyway, I'm fermenting right now with WLP565. I've heard that I should let it get started and then heat it up. But when and how? I don't have much in the way of temp control. Right now it's sitting in my basement, which is in the high 70's (78 last I checked), wrapped in blankets. Should I leave it be or should I throw a heating pad on it. And when should I do that? When the fermentation starts to slow down? I also think the heating pad only stays on for a few hours at a time. If I use that, will I end up doing more damage than good?

Also, I don't think the 565 will ferment it down far enough, so I have some Safale US-05. Do I need to proof it before I use it or can I just pour it in the carboy?

Much thanks,
brian

Yeah. I'm going to have to move it. One of those brewbelts would be good, but not recommended for glass. The fermwrap at NB would be nice, but I probably don't have time to order it. The heating pad would be good, but the 2 hour shutoff on it might not end up doing me any good. Better than nothing maybe.

I think I'll move it in next to the furnace and water heater tonight. It's nice and warm in there. That should warm it up real nice.

Back