Turn off co2 tank between uses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsay

Reaction score
Do you turn off your CO2 tank when not in use, or do you leave it on and just make sure you don't have any leaks?

I leave mine on all the time unless I have nothing in the fridge.
I have throughly tested mine for leaks and I know that it doesnt leak, so for me, I just leave it on.

I throw the valves shut so inadvertent use of the tap handles won't empty the tank. People just have to fukk with stuff, and if no beer comes out when tap is opened, then the tap won't be shut, draining the tank. Especially important when a keg blows during a party.

If there is nothing in the frig, I shut off the valves, too.

I leave mine on all the time unless I have nothing in the fridge.
I have throughly tested mine for leaks and I know that it doesnt leak, so for me, I just leave it on.

+1 I used a mixture of star san and water in a spray bottle. Sprayed
all my connection points to be sure of no leaks.

I only turn mine off when I'm moving kegs, or if I'll be out of town for a few days.

Just in case..

I turn mine off, at the check valves, right when I got about 1/8 of a keg left to go. I'm trying to use up as much CO2 as I can without wasting it. The last of the brew will pour slowly, but then I don't have a fully charged keg of CO2 gas either.

When my fridge i empty I turn of the tank. FWIW I usually defrost the fridge as well those one or two times a year when I don't have anything ready to drink.

I leave the tank on 24/7. I'm sure I'd forget to turn it off after a good session. I just scouted every union for leaks when I put the system together.

My gas has been on for about 6 months, it never gets turned off. Each new keg gets a StarSan leak test.

Back