Tried it, not so impressed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Many brewers on this forum rave about Starsan, so I gave it a try. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Been using Iodophor for quite some time, so the contact requirements weren't a change for me. I specifically don't care for how slippery it makes my equipment. My airlock bung won't stay down. I know I'll get blasted for this, and I'll try it again, but so far, I prefer Iodophor. It's about 40% of the cost, and thanks to the National Chemical test strips I have, I know it lasts at least two weeks in a sealed bucket in my garage!

There are advantages to both produts. I like Starsan because it keeps for a long time, doesn't stain, and has the shortest contact time. Other people like other products for various. That's probably why there ARE various products.

I pay $24/gal for Starsan, show me a gallon of Iodophor for $9.50 and I might (1 in 10 chance) consider switching.

And to my knowledge Iodophor isn't a nutrient that your yeast can eat, unlike Starsan.

Don't fear the foam!

I have never noticed it making things slippery. I just mix 5 gallon of RO water with an ounce of Star San and keep it in a priming bucket. I use this for everything and it lasts months.

That is my main reason for loving starsan as well. As long as you take care of it, it will last a very long time. It may even end up being cheaper in the long run.

I like star san because when I spill it everywhere..and trust me I do...swmbo cannot tell like she could if it were iodiphor.

I love Starsan because it loves me. :D

Actually since I'm on a septic system, I would rather have use a septic friendly sanitizer than one that could potentially harm my enzyme levels.

Iodophor only lasts 2 weeks? That sux. *-San lasts for a few months before I need to add more concentrate to my solution. I get Star San for pretty cheap, and it's non-staining, and it turns into yeast food, and...well, I could go on. If you're not impressed by *-San, you're not paying attention.

Sea said:
Many brewers on this forum rave about Starsan, so I gave it a try. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Been using Iodophor for quite some time, so the contact requirements weren't a change for me. I specifically don't care for how slippery it makes my equipment. My airlock bung won't stay down. I know I'll get blasted for this, and I'll try it again, but so far, I prefer Iodophor. It's about 40% of the cost, and thanks to the National Chemical test strips I have, I know it lasts at least two weeks in a sealed bucket in my garage!

You are right, it does get slippery. I'm so afraid of dropping a StarSan coated glass carboy that I am going to swap them out for plastic.

Cost isn't an issue with StarSan. 32-oz bottle of StarSan costs about $15, or $0.47 per ounce. I mix up one ounce in 5-gallons of water at a time and it keeps for 2 months, so I use 6 ounces a year. That means StarSan costs me $2.82 a year.

I like that StarSan breaks down into yeast food and it doesn't stain things yellow like Iodophore. But StarSan will cause acid stains on some countertops, clothes, and carpet so I do have to be somewhat careful. It doesn't make a mark on my Pergo kitchen floor, though, so I'm golden.

rdwj said:
There are advantages to both produts. I like Starsan because it keeps for a long time, doesn't stain, ....

Is this true? I thought there were some concerns about StarSan staining that were mentioned in this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=59605

I was considering switching to StarSan until i read this thread. SWMBO would have my "carboys" by the neck if I damaged new countertops or flooring. I routinely spill or splash water, sanitizer, etc on the floor when cleaning and sanitizing.

I have the same problem with the bungs slipping out of the carboy. I now rinse them in hot water and dry them off. Problem solved. (This is the only time I rinse StarSan from anything)

I purchased one 32oz bottle of star san about 10 months ago and am only about 1/2 of the way through it at this point, and I even spilt some of the concentrate by accident, so if we keep at this pace I will be using about 16 oz a year.

im at about a year w/ the 32 oz bottle of star san, and only half way through it. cost me $12 or so for the bottle, so this year i spent $6 on sanitizing.

1/2 cup bleach.
1 Tbs Oxyclean.
1 Tbs Dawn.

Into the sink it goes for about 5 cents per batch.

SHopSink.jpg

70 plus batches brewed using a bleach solution and narry an issue with sanitation.

Whatever works for you.

RichBrewer said:
I have the same problem with the bungs slipping out of the carboy. I now rinse them in hot water and dry them off. Problem solved. (This is the only time I rinse StarSan from anything)

Two words.

Carboy cap

But if you use iodophor, you don't get to take bets on how many times the foam-snake is going to wrap around you tubing. :D

8361-100_2609_2.JPG

I will take your collective wisdom into account and give the San some trial time, as I do hate how Iodophor stains.

I switched to the carboy cap not long after this post, I just have way more bungs at this point.

RichBrewer said:

I moisten a paper towel with rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol - kills most microbes) and wipe the stopper and the neck of the carboy and then it stays put.

I use iodophor for a few reasons, one I know exactly whats in it (starsan has some proprietary chemicals they wont tell you about) http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/products.asp?id=2 its great for testing for starches which is important for AG brewers, while it does stain if your not careful i dont consider this a huge problem as the stains dont harm the beer or equipment in any way. and as for foam it tells you on the bottle to add the water first and then some sanitizer and stir it i think this applies to both iodophor and starsan, if you dump water on top of it thats why you get foam.

starsan works as a yeast nutrient? it sounds interesting, can someone explain this from what ive read about the chemicals in it i cant figure out how this is possible. the tech sheet says it contains a solution of Phosphoric Acid, Dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid and Isopropyl Alcohol and (Other compositional information is considered a trade secret). none of this sounds good for yeast or humans, well the phosphoric acid is ok in small doses but the rest sounds nasty.

BierMuncher said:
1/2 cup bleach.
1 Tbs Oxyclean.
1 Tbs Dawn.

Into the sink it goes for about 5 cents per batch.

View attachment 4981

70 plus batches brewed using a bleach solution and narry an issue with sanitation.

Whatever works for you.

It looks like you sanitize with bleach and then rinse everything you sanitized with a lead based hose?

also, dishwashing detergent does not wash off completely and will kill the head in your beer. The Oxyclean alone will do the cleaning sufficiently.

HarvInSTL said:
I pay $24/gal for Starsan, show me a gallon of Iodophor for $9.50 and I might (1 in 10 chance) consider switching.

This assumes that they are used at the same dilution, which is not the case.

Iodophor no-rinse is used at about half the ppm of starsan. So the price equivilancy would be if iodophor was less than $48/gallon it would be cheaper for you to use (if you liked it).

NChemicals shows it at $38.99.

k1v1116 said:
starsan works as a yeast nutrient? it sounds interesting, can someone explain this from what ive read about the chemicals in it i cant figure out how this is possible. the tech sheet says it contains a solution of Phosphoric Acid, Dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid and Isopropyl Alcohol and (Other compositional information is considered a trade secret). none of this sounds good for yeast or humans, well the phosphoric acid is ok in small doses but the rest sounds nasty.

I believe it has to do with the break down of the solution when the pH drops to a certain level. I first heard about it on this podcast with Charley Talley of StarSan.
Great resource to learn about StarSan.

Edit: There is a sticky in this forum that documents the podcast and notes from Charley. Didn't see that when I posted.

fratermus said:
This assumes that they are used at the same dilution, which is not the case.

Iodophor no-rinse is used at about half the ppm of starsan. So the price equivilancy would be if iodophor was less than $48/gallon it would be cheaper for you to use (if you liked it).

NChemicals shows it at $38.99.

You are correct. Since I quoted a 1 in 10 chance of me switching, I picked a number out of a hat, (it was 7) and rolled a 10 sided die.

I rolled a 4, maybe next time.

What it comes down to is we can list the pros of StarSan all day, yet so far I haven't really heard a good con to using StarSan.

Back