Non-American Beers to Try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosnum

Reaction score
I feel that I have a firm grasp on the American styles of beer but am interested in German, English, etc. Any recommendation? Although I have a couple of nice beer shops around with a large selection, what kind of "wordly" beers can usually be found? Any suggestions?

Weihenstephan, Rothaus, Stuttgarter Hofbraeu, Carib
:)

z987k said:
Trappist Westvleteren 8
But don't go looking for this beer, it will be hard to find.

I would also suggest going to the BJCP style index and choosing the styles you would like to try and there is a list of commercial examples.

Not sure what your taste are, but a couple of suggestions...

Harviestoun Old Engine Oil (Old Ale dominated by a profoundly simple profile dominated by chocolate and coffee, well designed)
BTW I'm looking for a clone recipe... HINT HINT!

Any # of Belgian Trappist (complex and amazing), British Bitters (straight forward sessionable), or any # of the Wheat and Bock styles of German bier, fantastic stuff!

just my .02

Phillip

I say this knowing that I am risking much outrage, but I think that if you are looking off shore, focus on Belgians. In my (very humble) opinion, the most interesting things being done with beer these days are being done in Belgium and the US.

Back