transfer to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FEARDIZ

Reaction score
I need to transfer my 1st batch into the secondary. I'm guessing I need to use the tubes that came with my kit.
Here is a pic of what I have
y1p2I1Lhcfx3d-eNX3zOPWXb0XL3Vb1N36NeU437fddI2oigThDxh10V2gs6y8K4KtHGi-wOfnnjBc

how do I use this thing??? is there a video or explain..

thanks
John

I'll give this a stab for you.

I will assume you are using a bucket with spigot as your primary. If not you will have to siphon from one to the other, either way you have everything you should need.
Set you primary above the secondary,so gravity can do all the work.

The long tube with the clip goes into the secondary you want the cane touching the bottom so you dont add any extra oxygen to your wort, the other end of the hose will go on to your spigot. Open the spigot and it should start flowing.

I am sure you could find a video on youtube on racking. If you dont understand my instructions.

Not to go completely off topic but I have kind of a noob question relating to this.

I put my brew in the primary 2 weeks ago. It was giving off about one bubble every 2 min or so. When I get home to transfer it to the secondary today, I notice it's bubbling every 10 seconds now. Should I still rack to secondary?

I heard of this happening a week after bubbling has slowed...but 2 weeks

P.S. The temp did go up about 8 degrees where I store it today...

Benny Blanco said:
Not to go completely off topic but I have kind of a noob question relating to this.

I put my brew in the primary 2 weeks ago. It was giving off about one bubble every 2 min or so. When I get home to transfer it to the secondary today, I notice it's bubbling every 10 seconds now. Should I still rack to secondary?

I heard of this happening a week after bubbling has slowed...but 2 weeks

P.S. The temp did go up about 8 degrees where I store it today...

Next time, feel free to go ahead and start a new topic, so that more people can see your question. But anyway, the reason it's bubbling now may just be off gassing from co2 from the temperature rising. Try to keep it at a stable temperature, and your beer will benefit.

Anyway, to know if it's time to rack into the clearing tank, the only way to know for sure is the hydrometer. If it's at fg, it's ready!

For the original poster, I'll try to post a picture. You might wish to get an autosiphon as it makes starting a siphon so much easier!

Edit- here's a rough diagram. http://www.breworganic.com/tips/Virtual_class/siphon.htm
http://www.beertools.com/html/tutorial/phase03/step03.shtml

to the original poster, I highly recommend getting an auto-siphon.
generally you do not ferment or secondary in a bucket that has a spigot, because its hard to sanitize the insides right before using it.
plus, it may not clear the yeast cake and trub...and the whole point of racking is to get the beer off the trub.

Thanks for the replies.. basiclly I just figured it out, but putting some beer in the tube and let it pour into the car boy.
I'm still not sure what the cap thing is used for
I guess the other piece is for bottleing?

Back