Two Total Noob Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OblivionsGate

Reaction score
1. In a couple different sets of instructions it says pour freshly boiled priming sugar into bottling bucket, then syphon beer from secondary. Nowhere can I find a hint to let the boiled priming sugar cool down and I can't see that being a good thing mixing beer into near boiling hot liquid, even it if is only two cups. Should I syphon it or wait for sugar to cool?

2. The spigot on my bottling bucket (ale pale i've see in a few people's pictures) is so high above the bottom of the bucket that there is nearly a half gallon or more that would be left below the spigot. Is that lost beer or should I tilt the bottling bucket so more beer flows into the spigot?

Thanks ahead of time!

I boil thwe sugar ahead of time and cool it in the fridge.

And yes, I tilt the bucket to get every last drop of that sweet, sweet nectar!

Two cups of hot liquid at boiing temps isn't going to raise the temp of your beer. I never messed with cooling it. That little bit isn't going to hurt anything.

and tilt the bucket to every last drop.

talleymonster said:
I boil thwe sugar ahead of time and cool it in the fridge.

And yes, I tilt the bucket to get every last drop of that sweet, sweet nectar!

Just the answers I was hoping for!

:mug:

OblivionsGate said:
1. In a couple different sets of instructions it says pour freshly boiled priming sugar into bottling bucket, then syphon beer from secondary. Nowhere can I find a hint to let the boiled priming sugar cool down and I can't see that being a good thing mixing beer into near boiling hot liquid, even it if is only two cups. Should I syphon it or wait for sugar to cool?

2. The spigot on my bottling bucket (ale pale i've see in a few people's pictures) is so high above the bottom of the bucket that there is nearly a half gallon or more that would be left below the spigot. Is that lost beer or should I tilt the bottling bucket so more beer flows into the spigot?

Thanks ahead of time!

I normally boil and let it cool slightly. The bucket itself will take alot of heat out of the priming solution when you pour it into it

The bucket for some people doubles as a primary. I usually will not tilt the bucket when I'm transfering to the secondary. As a bottling bucket definitely tilt it to get all of your beer.

Back