Mold? Or how I learned to stop worrying and approach the forum.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stilgar

Reaction score
So part of me believes that what is pictured below in my 5gal of meadowfoam mead is actually yeast moved over from primary into the secondary and I shouldn't worry.

While the redheaded stepchild in me is screaming mold.

This was a mead based off of a Honningbrew mead recipe floating around and my first time using Lavlin-ec-1118

Here's the recipe if by chance it helps, just sub the fireweed honey for meadowfoam. I really think it is just something left over from the yeast but I just want to make sure while I leave it to sit and think about it's possible future as a mead for a month. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12 lbs. fireweed honey
4 gallons of treetop brand apple juice
DAP (Diammonium phosphate)
Fermaid k (or other yeast energizer, avoid ones containing urea)
lalvin ec-1118 yeast

and here's the brew in question.

It is a very small pic on my phone but I think it looks like yeast rafts. Does it smell moldy or musty?

After 2 weeks of a flu/cold/ungodly death virus I can finally smell, which was what made this brew a worry. Just checked and no off scent, just smells faintly of apple. That's the best my medicated mind and sniffer can gather.

So disappointed in this thread. Title was so promising. If only he'd learned to embrace the mold via some thick-pellicled whoreface Belgian.

So disappointed in this thread. Title was so promising. If only he'd learned to embrace the mold via some thick-pellicled whoreface Belgian.

I heavily debated going on a rant about being after our precious bodily fluids and working into the mix fermentation but sadly I chose not to. My life is a black abyss of regret now. Or that's the meds kicking in.

Yeah, you're fine, I've had and have some meads with some crazy lookin SH** floatin around on top that are definitely just little bubbles/yeast/whatever doin it's thing. If it starts growing hair, forming a zoogleal mat, moving, attempting to contact you telepathically, hogging the bandwidth of your internet connection and/or TV remote, hitting on your girlfriend, or eating all your food in the fridge and not apologizing, THEN worry.

Back