Missing Mash Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manthony

Reaction score
Alright guys, this is my 3rd all grain brew today and I have consistently had probelms with hitting my target mash temps. I took the advice of a few posts on here and had the grains crushed a little finer this time and took the extra 5-10 minutes to preheat my mash tun (10gal gatorade cooler) measured the strike water temp which was 165.5 (about 1 degree higher than calculated) and at the start of the mash the temp was about 150-151 with a drop of about 2-3 degrees over the 75 min mash. Target temp was 153.

Grain bill:
10.5 lbs belgian pale 2-row
1lb special b
1lb caravienne
8oz caramunich

Beersmith calculated 4.3 gal of strike water at 164.2

I made the target boil volume and batch size but fell a little short on the OG at 1.063. The target was 1.069. Im not sure if my thermometer just isn't calibrated or if the strike temp was wrong or whatever the problem is. I know the beer will be fine, but I would like to improve my efficiency and hit all my targets.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated here as I do not want this to be a continuing problem

Mash temp is easy. Start with 170 water in cooler. Then let it cool to strike with the lid on, about 15 to 20 mins. The cooler is still absorbing heat. With the efficiency issue if it's the same amount over and over adjust the efficiency in brew smith. Work on consistency then go for adjusting your efficiency.

If you are using beersmith, are you selecting the "adjust temp for equipment" box? Not sure exactly what calculations it uses, but it raises the strike temp. I had a similar problem and that was the solution. As henryred stated, if you put the water in the cooler at 170 and let it cool to strike temp then add the grain the cooler will be well heated.

Yup, I added about 1 gallon of 171 degree water, let it cool to about 164 to get it preheated, tossed the grain in and then added the strike water, gave it a good stir and took a reading. I've just been consistently missing by 2-3 degrees.

Manthony said:
Yup, I added about 1 gallon of 171 degree water, let it cool to about 164 to get it preheated, tossed the grain in and then added the strike water, gave it a good stir and took a reading. I've just been consistently missing by 2-3 degrees.

What is your grain temp?
If you are consistently missing 2-3 degrees boost you strike temp 2-3 above whatever beer smith says.

Grain has been sitting at room temp 70-71. And I havent adjusted the strike water temp yet. I did preheat the tun thinking that would solve the problem, but with no luck. I guess I'll try adjusting my strike temp

Manthony said:

Here is your entire problem. By putting 1 gal in and not 4.3 gal in you are heating only where the water touches. Put all strike water in at 171 in the mash run. Then when down to strike temp add grain. It's easier to mix this way too. It might end up 1-2 degrees high at first but easier to cool with crazy stirring.

Back