Portable Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamiltont

Reaction score
Here's a quick & dirty portable kegerator I put together recently. I used the garbage can a few times last summer with picnic taps on the kegs. It worked pretty good so I decided to take it to the next level and add faucets and a bit of insulation (camping pad). I need to add a drain so I can attach a length of tubing to drain the water away from it. I'm thinking a bottling bucket spigot might do the trick. Other ideas are most welcome! Here are a few pics. Cheers, and thanks for looking!!!

The Portable Kegerator fully assembled:
DSCN2775.jpg

Top view from the front:
DSCN2776.jpg

Top view from the back:
DSCN2777.jpg

Rear view with the hole for the CO2 line:
DSCN2778.jpg

I used the leftover camping pad material to insulate the lid a bit:
DSCN2779.jpg

That's a cool setup. I have a very similar one with picnic taps and regular insulation. I've been wanting to find good insulating material that is water proof. I was using several trash bags to keep the ice water away from the insulation. Have you used it yet? I'm curious how well that camping pad insulates. I take mine camping a couple times a year over a whole 3 day weekend and it needs to be able to stay cold for a while. I don't want to be buying 4 or 5 bags of ice every day.

I've used the garbage can with picnic taps & no insulation with no problems but I expect the keg(s) to be empty in 8 hours or less so it wouldn't be the same application you're describing. One could cover the outside with an old sleeping bag or something I guess & get it to last a bit longer but I have no clue how long. Cheers!!!

Yeah, we have a smaller group and can't even finish of one keg in 3 days, much less two so I'm looking at as much insulating as possible. I could even insulate the inside with something similar to what you're using and then cover the outside as well but I didn't want it to be bulky or not able to get wet in case it rained.

I would love to use that insulating foam but I don't think it would be able to bend very well. I wish my trash can was square so I could use that stuff.

I really dig that thing. Keep in mind that your dip tube is on the bottom. I would think as long as the lower 6-10 inches are on ice the beer should be cold all the time. I would just stuff as much of that pad type insulation around there as possible, but you need room for the ice.

All I really can say for sure is I like what you have there.

Looks like there might be enough room to even put a CO2 tank right in there along side the cornies- could you do so and still have enough room for a bag or two of ice?

I would imagine that if you added cold kegs, and heck, perhaps even chilled the CO2 tank first, you could keep the contents cold well through a big event, and that would make it even more compact.

Either way, great idea!

Back