100% Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonestar

Reaction score
Wanted to add some maple syrup as a late addition to the boil of a porter I am going to brew. Possibly right at flame out. Wondering how much to add for a 5 gallon batch? Bottles of syrup are 12.5 fluid ounces on average and was thinking one would be enough to start and experiment. Any words of wisdom???

I tried this once. Fermented out, the maple was not what I was expecting.

Use a light hand until you have a idea of what it will bring.

I've added it at bottling and got a hint of maple (approx 12 oz per 5Gal) but the best luck I've had is using Cook's pure maple extract at bottling... (I think I used about two TBLSP per 5G).

YMMV... If you have a couple of 1G jugs and a 3G Carboy; experiment. You'll be richer for the experience!

I would expect, tho, if you added it before Primary it would be a fool's errand..

I added 9oz of grade b at bottling and liked the results. From what I've read grade b seems to be the way to go because it contains more non-fermentable sugar so the maple flavor doesn't ferment out.

Did you lose all the maple character?

Yes and No. There was a LOT of something there still. Very woody and earthy. It came from the Maple but, it wasn't "Maple" anymore.

Not saying it was horrible or anything (I did quite enjoy it) just taht it was not expected.

Add it to your secondary. If you don't use a secondary, add it two weeks into primary and then leave it in the primary for another week but no longer. Never add it during the boil as it will ferment out. The closer to bottling you add it, the more maple flavor will remain. Generally with things like maple syrup or honey they tend to ferment out.

As for how much, I'd go with between 8 and 12 ounces. A lot of people use grade B. I always use grade A because it's more expensive. I'm no expert in maple syrup so my perception of it is that if it says 100% pure, comes in a fancy glass bottle, and costs more than Aunt Jemima's then it's probably good.

Experiment. Just don't experiment by adding maple syrup to the boil because it's a lost cause.

Also, always use maple syrup from a sealed bottle. If you're just trying to use the rest of the maple syrup in the pantry you'll have to pasteurize it by holding at a certain heat.

Syrup.png

What's missing?

A percentage of Dextrins as created by the Maillard reactions of the boiling of the sap. That percentage is what would be left behind if Maple were added prior to fermentation.

How long would you suggest leaving it in a secondary? I assume I would add it to the secondary first and then siphon in the beer in hopes to let it mix well. Then let it sit for a week before transferring to the keg? I was even thinking of adding it directly to the corny, shake it up for carbonation, let it sit for a couple days and drink away...

This thread made me want to use maple syrup for bottle conditioning my next batch, would you . . . say boil 8-12 ounces with a cup or so of water & throw it in the bottling bucket?

Anywhoo, thanks for the idea OP.

brants77 said:
This thread made me want to use maple syrup for bottle conditioning my next batch, would you . . . say boil 8-12 ounces with a cup or so of water & throw it in the bottling bucket?

Anywhoo, thanks for the idea OP.

This thread's TITLE made me want to try a maple syrup "mead".

Back