Flying to St. Louis next week to meet with Anheuser Busch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boiler up

Reaction score
:D

Since I'm so new, I don't know what all of your takes are on the "big" companies in the states.

Anyway, I have my final interviews for Anheuser Busch's RESEARCH PILOT BREWERY next week. I'm insanely pumped about it.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll answer them the best I can.

I would ask them what they will be doing with your soul once you accept a position.

Just kidding.

But I would expect a lot of ribbing on this board. Do your best and make us proud. We are all secretly jealous (a least a little).

olllllo said:
I would ask them what they will be doing with your soul once you accept a position.

Just kidding.

But I would expect a lot of ribbing on this board. Do your best and make us proud. We are all secretly jealous (a least a little).

i figured that would happen. i didn't even mean to come across this either. they were at a job fair at my school when i happened to see them. i walked up, chatted, explained i homebrewed etc and they interviewed me right away that day. now i have to go meet the brew master, head engineer, and the HR manager for that brewery before they offer me the position.

Jealous because that company makes beer!

A lot less jealous because we know, whatever your job may be, it will be a single job that you will continue to do day in and day out. It will not be nearly as sexy as you'd imagine. I suspect most people here fantasize about running a brew pub (or at least designing the recipes and doing some brewing there for folks to sample), but even there, the sexiness is far offset by the reality and I speak from experience when I say that the bigger the company, the worse this tends to be. Anything more than about 4 or 5 people and it starts to suck... But that goes for any industry.

Best of luck with the job! :mug:

let them know I have one of there Kegs......LOL...sorrry I Had Too....you haveno Ideal how hard I am laughing!!! lololololol hahahahahhaaa...Sorry

you could ask them why they have a research dept. brewing a beer style other than American Lager.

On a serious note, you could ask them how they view micro/craft breweries and how that affects their advertising/sales/production, etc.

...and how you, as a homebrewer, are you supposed to pretend to like their product. :D

At least you will be with the Research pilot brewery portion. That, at least, sounds like you will be brewing something interesting. Congrats!

Out of curiosity, what is your major? Is it purely the homebrewing experience that they liked, or some education as well?

desiderata said:
you could ask them why they have a research dept. brewing a beer style other than American Lager.

On a serious note, you could ask them how they view micro/craft breweries and how that affects their advertising/sales/production, etc.

...and how you, as a homebrewer, are you supposed to pretend to like their product. :D

At least you will be with the Research pilot brewery portion. That, at least, sounds like you will be brewing something interesting. Congrats!

Out of curiosity, what is your major? Is it purely the homebrewing experience that they liked, or some education as well?

i'm a junior in mechanical engineering. this would be a position they like to call a "long interview". i would work from may-december and if they like me/i like them, they'll give me an offer for graduation.

cha ngo said:
Ask them what they do with all those hops they buy every

Yeah, tell them to actually add the hops to their beers and stop their just showing pictures of hops to their beers!

Good luck, and keep us posted.:mug:

boiler up said:
i'm a junior in mechanical engineering. this would be a position they like to call a "long interview". i would work from may-december and if they like me/i like them, they'll give me an offer for graduation.
Nice, man. i was a mech/eng guy during my first (I.E. immediately post-high-school) college visit. It lasted two insanely info-overloading years to realize I just didn't have it in me. :D

Regardless, you could be an engineer in any random company that make elastic bands, GPS recievers, high-end stereo's, etc., but none of them would be brewing beer. Good call. Become a positive force withing the Bud Innards to keep them aware of Real Beer. :rockin: :tank:

boiler up said:
Anyway, I have my final interviews for Anheuser Busch's RESEARCH PILOT BREWERY next week. I'm insanely pumped about it.

Congratulations. That's a very good start in the brewing business. I heard that they offer free classes on brewing subjects for their employees. I'm definately jealous of that. Take as many as you can. It can only help in your further brewing career.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll answer them the best I can.

Keep in touch with this board and try to answer some technical questions with the knowledge you gained there.

Kai

Toot said:
Jealous because that company makes beer!

A lot less jealous because we know, whatever your job may be, it will be a single job that you will continue to do day in and day out. It will not be nearly as sexy as you'd imagine. I suspect most people here fantasize about running a brew pub (or at least designing the recipes and doing some brewing there for folks to sample), but even there, the sexiness is far offset by the reality and I speak from experience when I say that the bigger the company, the worse this tends to be. Anything more than about 4 or 5 people and it starts to suck... But that goes for any industry.

Best of luck with the job! :mug:

i'm back

actually...this is the exact opposite of what the research brewery does. :D

i personally watched them make a peach lambic today for the hell of it. it's a bunch of 21-25 year olds messing around with recipes and new hops/malts for the fun of it. they also make august busch IV's personal stash as well. :tank:

lets hope i get an offer!

Research is good. I think the happiest pro brewer I know is the guy who runs Widmer's 40 barrel pilot system. He might make the same beer multiple times, but generally to fine tune the brew. Though, some of the time, he is testing recipes against new suppliers' products.

We knock BMC, but if they weren't buying hops, there would be very few varieties available and little or no malting barley.

First Good luck with getting the job.
Now can you ask them to keep their hands out of the craft brew industry?:D
Oh wait then you wouldn't be getting a job, oh well, good luck bro!:)

Cheers

Please ask them what exactly is....beechwood aging? And if aging is so important, why is there a born-on date to insure the beer is fresh (and presumably not aged)?

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
Don't you guys understand? They are researching all the beer styles that they will never sell to the public. :)
Ask them to please start bottling and selling some of those!

...and quit with the "Select" line...I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Back