Sour equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask31

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it necessary to have a separate set of fermentation equipment for bugs? Can you clean the equipment and use it for regular ales or is it permanently contaminated?

I have crossed equipment back and forth. You have to be really, really diligent about your cleaning. It's definitely going to make life easier to spend the extra few bucks for post-boil tubing and a bottling bucket to dedicate to sours.

I don't know what of my stuff has touched sours. Probably all of it has at one point or another. I have had a single contaminated beer, and I'm convinced that was due to the raw ginger I added to secondary and not the equipment.

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that if you go this route, you must be very careful with your sanitation procedures (as you should be anyway).

I use the same gear for sours. I periodically run all my gear that will fit through a dishwasher cycle (no detergent) on the high temp setting to sterilize.

I only separate my plastic stuff. Even tubing, if you go with silicone, can be adequately sanitized with boiling water.

So it's basically just a plastic spoon, one fermentor (they otherwise age in glass), a bottling bucket, and an auto-siphon (though I have a few SS racking canes that I'm still looking for the best way to use.) But 4 pieces of equipment really isn't bad, and is a tiny investment for that peace of mind.

I use the same equipment for sours too and haven't had an issue in over 10 years. I'm sure I'll probably be due soon, but I do clean the equipment that was in contact with sours for a longer period of time and I, like rory, use the dishwasher to facilitate cleaning.

Depends on what you're brewing. Lambics should not be secondaried- the dead yeast will feed the later generations and boost your funk. Flanders should be- they are traditionally "cleaner". Berliners don't need it. If you're adding fruit it might help. I brew my sours in glass, and if I used plastic I would probably segregate it to be sours only.

Back