Contamination Risk - Blow Off Tube Error?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiescins

Reaction score
Last night I brewed a stout (1.074 OG) and made a mistake setting up my blow off tube. It is a 5gal batch in a 6.5gal glass carboy. The blow-off is 1/2" tube to a 64oz growler ~2/3 fill with iodaphor. I shoved the tube too far into the growler and the opening of the tube wrapped around and ended up above the iodaphor, since it is an amber growler I didn't notice until today. I made a 1/2gal starter with white labs yeast vial. Pitched yeast after 24hrs in starter, had a ton of activity at pitching. After 9hrs there was significant krausen, unfortuntely I didn't notice the tube issue until about 20hrs after pitching.

What is my risk of contamination? I'm thinking because I had such a good starter and significant activity early on, that it would have prohibited any nasties from making their way all the way to the beer. Thoughts? I'm really excited about this brew and hope it isn't ruined.

Even with out the tube in the liquide your still pushing CO2 out of the blow off tube, as long as you pitched plenty of healty yeast you will be fine.
The risk that you had that strong of a wild yeast population to over come your healty yeast is slim.
RDWHAHB

Back