Hops sprouting in winter (inside)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
This is my first year attempting to grow hops and I did so in giant pots on my balcony (no cones though). I waited for them to go dormant and was afraid of them freezing ( I live in Chicago) so I put them in my parents basement for a few weeks until I had time to go there a make a sheltered spot for them outside. Well I went over there today and both plants have a good amount of new sprouts growing! I was afraid of this happening, but I was hoping their basement was could enough. What do I do next?

Thanks

Put them outside, they'll got dormant again. It doesn't get any colder in Chitown than in Yakima.

Or, put a light on them. (sodium, metal halide, etc.)

I'm trying to get a jump on the growing season this year.
It has taken a month, and I think that the plants are getting less 'suspicious' of the early warmth, and are slowly coming up.

If they are a few feet tall by the time you can put them out post-frost, they are still manageable. Mine will be on the twine by then. I hope.

i stuck mine in the fridge last yr when they did this. they still grew a little but were white like moon asparagus.

Mine looks like I have a few "moon asparagus's" too.

So I should hurry up and throw them outside, wouldn't freezing temps kill them? Its like 10 degrees outside right now.

Back