My homemade smoker.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truly THE finest DIY smoker I've ever seen, it rivals factory produced models with ease. Nice adaptation of a woodstove design to a smoker; wish I'd thought of it. :D Regards, GF.

Good Idea but I think the neigbours might not like the Cockeral and I'd have to give my whole garden over to the chickens. That will not go down well with the dogs, wife, friends, family, neighbours, local authorities and others.

Good idea though. :)

I'm living with my vegetarian sister between semesters (sheds tear). That is a really awesome build though!

If and when I have a New home.. THIS will be my Smoker.
Unless I receive a BGE for a housewarming gift... then it will be my Really BIG smoker :)

Excellent.

Awesome, just awesome. I was going to ask you what you were going to do about the grease? I have that problem with my current setup and it makes me mad and my dogs oh, so happy.

Haven't been able to solve for the grease yet. On one hand, it's not pretty, but there are foil pans set under the fire barrel to catch it. On the other, it is good that it does not drip into the fire because burning grease smoke doesn't taste that great. I've also found that it seems to inhibit rust in those areas as well.

Thanks for bumping it...I hadn't seen it. RAAAAWWWWWRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

I'm searching Amazon for that book on another tab as I type this!

Reading this thread was better than sex. That smoker is ****ing awe inspiring.

That is awesome, im coming to your place to learn to smoke meat. LOL Just gotta find some 55 gal barrels like you got ahold of. Good job, looks awesome.

I built a Texas-style grill out of a 55-gallon drum recently, but nothing this intricate. Your workmanship is impressive!

Edit: For anyone needing 55-gallon drums, I picked mine up at a recycling yard. Craigslist is also a good choice for local stuff, just make some phone calls =)

I just found this thread searching for some recipes and had to bump it up! This is AWESOME!!!

I just finished mine yesterday. I followed your instructions for the most part. I only have one question though. How did you bolt on the bottom legs opposite of the feeder door. I waited til I cut the rear damper hole and reached down through the hole.

I am also a home brewer. I started doing all grain in July. So far I have made a pale ale, which I have about 6 left. Bottled a cream ale about 3 weeks ago, which is very well balanced. I just racked a porter to the secondary on Sunday. The taste test out of the hydro tube tasted pretty good.

I just finished mine yesterday. I followed your instructions for the most part. I only have one question though. How did you bolt on the bottom legs opposite of the feeder door. I waited til I cut the rear damper hole and reached down through the hole.

I got my arm through the fire door up to the shoulder and used a ratchet with a couple extensions. I have a picture somewhere, I almost got stuck and got honey in my hair.

I'd love to see pics of your smoker if you have them!

Sorry, I didnt get your reply til now. I have a few pics of the smoker. I used it this weekend. 6 full racks of babybacks fit perfect. I do have more pictures though. After i download them from my phone i will send more. The picture of the ribs was the maiden voyage. That was 3 racks of babybacks and 2 racks of spare ribs. FANTASTIC is all I can say.

photo[1] (2).jpg

photo[2].jpg

photo[3].jpg

photo[4].jpg

It is with a heavy heart that I must share that my homemade smoker finally succumbed to the elements. After more than a decade of heavy use, hundreds of pounds of meat, a trip to the lake for a luau, and a move to the new house 4 years ago, the top of the fire barrel finally collapsed during a cook this spring. I used some foil pans to triage the damage until the cook was finished and we saw it through to the end. Now she is laid to rest out back by the garden, fire barrel filled with top soil, and a wisteria vine that was growing over the septic field was transplanted in to the drum.

Good night, sweet prince.

rwgZ27d.jpg

Time to start work on v2.0...

It is with a heavy heart that I must share that my homemade smoker finally succumbed to the elements. After more than a decade of heavy use, hundreds of pounds of meat, a trip to the lake for a luau, and a move to the new house 4 years ago, the top of the fire barrel finally collapsed during a cook this spring. I used some foil pans to triage the damage until the cook was finished and we saw it through to the end. Now she is laid to rest out back by the garden, fire barrel filled with top soil, and a wisteria vine that was growing over the septic field was transplanted in to the drum.

Good night, sweet prince.

Time to start work on v2.0...

Awwww, I believe I hear TAPS playing.....

Back