Hotlips Soda Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennymae

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success cloning any of the Hotlips Sodas?

HOTLIPS Soda

I have only had this stuff on tap and it was unlike any fruit soda I'd ever experienced. I'm not sure if the bottled version is any different.

I was planning on 1.5 pounds of Oregon Raspberry puree, 1.5 pounds of sugar, lemon juice and an undetermined quantity of water to taste. Luckily the puree already has the seeds removed. I'd probably boil for about 15 minutes, cool and force carb in a 3 gallon keg.

Thanks.

I can not help you with the recipe but I would not recommend boiling fruit. It can turn to jello unless you use a pectin enzyme. General I would just warm up the simple syrup let it cool then add to the fruit.

Kevin

Why is it so good?

I know they use a ton of real fruit. There was an article in the paper around here about their process, I'll try to find it. They are a local/organic pizza chain that was doing pretty well and then they staked all their money on this soda business. They do their bottling at a winery out in the wine country. I'll see what I can find.

Time to dig this one up from the grade. I seriously want to know how to clone these sodas. The recipe list is very simple:

seltzer water
fruit
cane sugar
lemon juice

I question if these are force carbed based on the inclusion of seltzer water. The fruit is intense, I assume they are somehow reducing it toward a syrup of some type. And the cane sugar and lemon juice feel minimal, but sweeten it up a touch and then take off the edge so it has a clean finish.

Anyone try to clone these sodas recently with any success?

Back