Wood Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I added wood chips and hops to an IPA in secondary about 5 days ago. Now there are chunks floating in it and a creamy looking substance covering the top. I don't think the chunks are pieces of the wood, but I guess it's possible. Anyways, is it infected or does this happen when you add the wood?

I should add that I did boil the chips for about 5 minutes.

Careful with wood chips, they're a sharp sword. You don't need a lot to exert woody flavor, and I'd use a micro-film bag to avoid danger from the chips coming apart and leaving small shards and slivers to choke on. Did you boil them before adding to the wort? I would boil them for at least 20 mins in a solution of water and 1 crushed campden tablet. Better yet if you got a pressure cooker, this is an even better way to sanitize these. I agree, that to diagnose your problem we need photos and more info on your process! Good Luck!

I only boiled them for five minutes or so in purified water. Unfortunately I didn't know about the microfilm bag. The thin film that I am talking about sinks when I move the carboy and eventually floats back to the top. I just took a hydro sample and there were several of these white chunks in it. The sample tasted ok though. I should also mention that I added hop plugs at around the same time. Is it possible that they disintegrated and floated to the top?

I apologize I don't have a photo yet. I'm trying to track down a digital camera.

I also have one more question, is it possible to filter this stuff out before bottling? If it turns out not to be infected, I would like filter out these chunks prior to bottling.

Latest posts

Back