Ginger Beer Plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microbusbrewery

Reaction score
Just a word of warning for anyone planning on ordering GBP from gingerbeerplant.net.

I took a break from making ginger beer for a few years (mostly because my dog knocked the the container with my GBP off the counter, shattering it). I recently ordered a new one and noticed the seller gives you the option of ordering a single pitch versus a double pitch (twice the amount as a single). On his site he even has pictures of what you'll receive, three pouches of dehydrated culture for a single pitch, six pouches for a double pitch. I figured I'd splurge and buy a double.

Fast forward to this past Friday and the cultures arrive in the mail. I open up the envelope and I have three pouches instead of the six I was expecting. No problem I figure, I'll just email them to confirm I received a double pitch. I sent the following email:

Hi Jim,

The GBP arrived today, thank you! One small problem, I ordered 2x and I think I got 1x. I received a strip of three pouches but I was expecting a strip of six pouches (based on the pictures on your site). Can you confirm if I received the correct order? Thank you!

The email(s) I got back from him were pretty rude right from the start. He sent me four emails in a row before I even had a chance to respond, including one reprimanding me for making "accusations" against him. I gotta admit, I was caught by surprise at the response I got and it p!ssed me off.

I responded back with:
Uh, I wasn't making any accusations, I was simply asking a question to confirm that I got what I paid for. But hey, thanks for responding like a ****** bag.

Then he blocked my email address, so I guess I won't be hearing back from him again. His emails seem to imply that you won't actually get what is pictured on the site even though it says on the site "this is what you get with a single pitch" and "this is what you get with a double pitch".

So long story short, I'd recommend avoiding this guy altogether. If you do order from this guy, I'd recommend only ordering the single pitch because I think you get the same amount regardless of how much you ordered...he's just charging you double the amount if you order a double pitch. Oh and don't bother emailing the guy because he has no customer service skills.

never heard of that, but I got mine from a guy on Ebay, super legit, and I wouldn't worry about how much you got. Yeah you kinda got ripped off but after a couple of batches you won't know what to do with it and mostly throw it out. (or give to friends)

True, and good option. I didn't even think of looking on ebay, I just went with the same guy I'd ordered from years ago. Anyway, looking forward to getting back into making ginger beer. Temps are climbing into the triple digits this week, so some refreshing ginger beer is sounding pretty good.

Latest posts

Back