Perpetual IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chattan

Reaction score
I doing a Hopville Perpetual IPA clone:

12 lb Briess Pilsen malt
1 lb, 8oz Briess Munich malt 20L
1 lb Briess Crystal 20L
1.062 OG
1.020 FG

Hops
1.25 oz Target pellets, 60 min
1 oz Chinook pellets, 30 min
0.7 oz Mt. Hood pellets, 10 min
1 oz Cluster leaf, 1 min
1 oz Mt. Hood leaf, 1 min
1 oz Cascade leaf, 7 days
1 oz Citra leaf, 1 day

Misc
5 tsp Fermax yeast nutrient, 45 min
1 wirlflock, 45 min

Mash
Conversion / Saccharification Rest
1.5 qts/lb strike water to grist
68 ° F Grain temp at mash-in
Fly Sparge
2.153 gal (8.611 qts) at 171°F
Kettle Yield 5.8 gals

What does 7 days for the cascade mean? Same for the Citra, what does 1 day mean?

How long should I keep it in the primary and secondary?

Thanks!

Sounds like Perpetual at 1.020 FG, high mash temp & toasty malts, and with those earthy hops in the mix. I personally found the real beer to be incredibly sweet.

To answer your question...

Primary time = 2-3 weeks. Then 7 days of Cascade in the secondary. Remove the Cascade at that point, keg and add the Citra directly to the keg. If you're not kegging, then just dryhop with the Cascade & Citra for 7 days and proceed to bottle.

FYI - Yeast Nutrient and Whirlfloc go in the boil at 15 minutes left... not 45.

Sounds like Perpetual at 1.020 FG, high mash temp & toasty malts, and with those earthy hops in the mix. I personally found the real beer to be incredibly sweet.

To answer your question...

Primary time = 2-3 weeks. Then 7 days of Cascade in the secondary. Remove the Cascade at that point, keg and add the Citra directly to the keg. If you're not kegging, then just dryhop with the Cascade & Citra for 7 days and proceed to bottle.

FYI - Yeast Nutrient and Whirlfloc go in the boil at 15 minutes left... not 45.

That's good, I didn't use either in the boil. I added the nutrient with the yeast for fermentation, clean sanitize spoon...

Thank you,

Hey I'm just curious how this came out? Its one of my favorite beers and their are not any clone recipes for it that I could find except this one.

Let me know. Thanks

Hey I'm just curious how this came out? Its one of my favorite beers and their are not any clone recipes for it that I could find except this one.

Let me know. Thanks

I've made 3 batches and they were/are all good.

Back