Custom SS pipe for keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHateMayonnaise

Reaction score
First of all, I haven't brewed in six months and am getting antsy. I'm converting to all-grain from extract, and have taken my time to research thoroughly so I can make the correct decisions and minimize mistakes. Subsequently, I have a full table of high grade SS goodies, including about a dozen of Derrin's full-bore barbs (very, very nice), about half a dozen camlock sets from ProFlowDynamics, four nice ball valves from AHS, a Brewmometer from Blichmann, a RTD temp sensor from The Electric Brewery, a new March 809hs pump, and a 40 plate wort chiller from KegCowboy (not to mention a newly completed keggle, mash tun, burner, stir plate and a myriad of other misc items).

The last thing I need is to find a solution to filter my wort prior to entering my plate chiller. This topic has been beaten to death, and for me, right now, the best solution seems to be building a hop stopper. My inspiration is chiefly coming from this build log: http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20716

I am having a hard time sourcing the stainless counterparts to the copper parts shown in that walkthrough though. The threaded stainless pipe alone costs $40 from McMaster! Aside from that I don't need anything special, just a SS elbow which can be purchased from one of many home brewers sites. I don't think I need a stainless T, especially if I am going to go with 1/2" for the tubing.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

IHateMayonnaise

You can get it all from McMaster. Search for stainless steel pipe nipples. You will need a 6" nipple threaded on both ends, a 90 elbow, a tee, a close nipple, washer and the mesh. Should cost less than $50 total. I'm thinking of building one of these since reading your post.

98126A748 18-8 Stainless Steel Shim .062" Thick, 7/8" ID, 1-3/8" OD, packs of 10

92715T27 Ultrafine-Filtering Type 304 SS Wire Cloth Plain Dutch Weave, 50 X 250 Mesh, 12" X 12" Sheet

4830K178 Std-Wall Type 304/304L SS Thrd Pipe Nipple 1/2" Pipe X 6" Length, 13/16" Thread Length

4830K171 Std-Wall Type 304/304L SS Thrd Pipe Nipple 1/2" Pipe X 1-1/8" Length, Fully Threaded

4464K14 Type 304 Stainless STL Threaded Pipe Fitting 1/2" Pipe Size, 90 Degree Elbow, 150 PSI

4464K51 Type 304 Stainless STL Threaded Pipe Fitting 1/2" Pipe Size, Tee, 150 PSI

That should be it. $49.95 total plus shipping for threaded pipe fittings and the mesh. You'll also have extra stainless shims afterwards.

You can get it all from McMaster. Search for stainless steel pipe nipples. You will need a 6" nipple threaded on both ends, a 90 elbow, a tee, a close nipple, washer and the mesh. Should cost less than $50 total. I'm thinking of building one of these since reading your post.

98126A748 18-8 Stainless Steel Shim .062" Thick, 7/8" ID, 1-3/8" OD, packs of 10

92715T27 Ultrafine-Filtering Type 304 SS Wire Cloth Plain Dutch Weave, 50 X 250 Mesh, 12" X 12" Sheet

4830K178 Std-Wall Type 304/304L SS Thrd Pipe Nipple 1/2" Pipe X 6" Length, 13/16" Thread Length

4830K171 Std-Wall Type 304/304L SS Thrd Pipe Nipple 1/2" Pipe X 1-1/8" Length, Fully Threaded

4464K14 Type 304 Stainless STL Threaded Pipe Fitting 1/2" Pipe Size, 90 Degree Elbow, 150 PSI

4464K51 Type 304 Stainless STL Threaded Pipe Fitting 1/2" Pipe Size, Tee, 150 PSI

That should be it. $49.95 total plus shipping for threaded pipe fittings and the mesh. You'll also have extra stainless shims afterwards.

Thanks for the reply! Do you think 6" is long enough for the nipple? Since the screen would cover most of the bottom I would want it to extend right to the middle. I just measured my keggle, and it seems that the center is 8" from the inner edge. The nipple is 6" including threads, so after adding the elbow and screwing everything in it might extend to 7" from the edge (correct me if I'm wrong). With the bulkhead that I have around here somewhere, which I believe to be an inch long, so the 6" might end up being perfect.

Does anyone have experience with this particular mesh (50x250)? Does it do a good job of trapping particulates?

Not sure what size. They do sell 6-1/2" ones as well. The good bing about McMaster is they show diagrams with lengths and sizes so you could do the math and figure it out to dead center of your keggle.

How precisely did you pick out the mesh size? It seems that most people use 30x30, and the one on McMaster is 50x240 and is rated at "superfine" - I feel like this is probably small enough, but if it becomes too small does clogging become an issue?

I was just piecing together on my iPhone and that looked like a good size.

So here's the deal. I did some searching, and I think that 50x240 will be too fine and will get clogged. Check out thisthread. This guy is using 30x30 threaded mesh and for a CFC it is fine, but for a plate chiller it is not fine enough. However, he goes on to say that others with a 60x40 are complaining that the thread is so fine that it causes restriction.

So I searched, and from wa compromise seems to be 40x40 for plate chillers and not clogging. this is at least what I've seen, and I am a few deep. I will investigate tomorrow morning and see what I can find, but most likely I will take a leap of faith and get get a 40x40 mech and deal with the consequences later (or search more, we'll see what happens). Anyone have any words of wisdom?

IHateMayonnaise

Back