First One Bottled and Labelled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manoaction

Reaction score
My first homebrew in years and my first all grain brew was labeled a day or two ago, and I wanted to say thanks to everyone for their help.

It has its issues here and there (a little flat, a little thin), but on the whole it is tasty and looks good.

Modern Brewing's "E.L. Cobbe's No. 4 Oil" is now officially ready to drink.

Thanks for the help everyone.

4Oil.jpg

CobbesNumberFour.jpg

busy label, but it works great! nice job! hows it taste?

i'd give it a little more time to even out and you'll have a great beer on your hands

The taste begins with a tasty coffee flavored punch and the smooths out to a surprising wheat flavored finish (not what I wanted), but I like drinking it and I'm a bit of a snob about these things.

Being my first all grain, I didn't really have the process down, my gravities were a little low and my carbing sugar was off. So it unfortunately tastes a little thin and a little flat, but not enough to make it bad, just less than perfect.

The head is a very creamy tan that sticks around for the whole drink, I like it a lot.

The label and name were made to convey a grimy and cluttered machine shop hence the gear elements, blue prints, and dirty label.

I'm anxious to move onto batch #2 with better tuned recipe and process, but I've got three other beers in bottles that need labels. I don't like to drink without the labels, the naming/labeling part of brewing is at least half of the fun for me.

Nice! I need to start making some labels, I just bottled my first successful batch, it was a batch of Graff.

If you're an AHA member, you get a free glass from New Belgium when you go in to buy beer. :) The goblet even has a bicycle laser etched into the base of bowl causing the beer to continually slowly foam from the base so your beer holds a head the whole time.

The label design is my own. I used Photoshop and got to tinkering until I came up with something I liked. You'll notice the parchment scroll work at the lower part of the gear is lifted from Sierra Nevada's label.

The theme for Modern Brewery is aiming to be a Steampunk/Victorian era brewery. This means a lot of gears, monocles, and women in corsets. Maybe some sky pirates thrown in to boot.

As for printing and affixing, I can't say enough good things about milk. I just printed on normal copy paper on a color laser printer at the office.

To affix them I just used a saucer of milk and dipped the back of the label in the milk before putting it on the bottle and wiping away the excess glue. It works incredibly well. Labeling was the one part of brewing we actually did well when I did it years ago. I can't say enough about how easy it is to make milk stick to glass.

Beautiful label, man. If I saw that beer on the shelf, I would buy it for the label alone. :mug:

Huh. Interesting labeling technique. I'll have to bug my graphic design friends and see if I can get one of them to whip me up a label (being that I'm crumby at design myself).

I started using milk as well and it is excellent, I get nervous when my cats start sniffing it though. I use a cheap paint brush on my ink jet labels and the inks do not run because they do not get soaked. I use labelizer featured in this forum, great stuff for easy nice labels.
Your custom product looks great and good story to go with it.:rockin:

Back