Which Bulk Grain should I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebag22

Reaction score
Looking to make the leap to buying grain in bulk, but not exactly sure which grains to buy. Here are the beers I make the most of:
oatmeal stout
cream ale
amber ale
pale ale
hefe / wit

Looking at picking up 3 sacks that I can use to brew the majority of styles listed.

At least 2-Row and Wheat (if you do enough hefe's)

I would compare the recipes of the beers you brew most. Then, buy a sack of each of the grains you use the most. I am going to assume the base malt in going to be 2 Row Pale. That should be at least 1 maybe 2 of the 3 bags you buy.

With three sacks I'd go with MO, US 2-Row, and a Pils, either German or Belgian, which should cover all the beers above. I keep four in stock; the above plus Golden Promise.

I keep the following:

2-row Pale
Maris Otter
Golden Promise
Pilsen
Light Wheat

The first three are for my standard ESB/Scottish Ale/American Pale Ale and the like. The last two are pretty much reserved for Hefeweizens, although I do use Pilsen malt in other places at times.

The only other one I'd think of adding to my collection is Munich

If you like heavier beers domestic special pale malt is usually the same price as domestic two row. It's a domestic version of marris otter, gives you a little more malt backbone than the regular two row. Wouldn't be so great in a wit, but I use it in almost everything heavier than and including pale ales.

Back