Kegerator Noises

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz_Armstrong

Reaction score
I've got a new kegerator (an Avanti from Home Depot) and I've noticed that it clicks and ticks and pops quite a bit. Every few minutes I hear a snap/crackle/or pop from the other room.

Anyone else have odd noises coming from their modded fridge/freezer?

that sounds like some loose electrical connection or short. Do you smell anything in the compressor area?

If you just turned it on, sometimes you can hear the coolant running through the lines. This may be what you are hearing. Is there a fan to cool the tower?

When I first got mine going I would hear an occasional "pop". I assume it was the ice layer forming on the cold plate, then cracking as it defrosted.

Since adding the fans and temperature controller, I don't get the ice, and haven't heard the pops.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's temperature related. I removed the CO2 tank and moved that whole assembly to the garage and it still pops and pings occasionally.

I have the same one and also hear the same things. I am pretty sure it has to do with the compresor and cooling system (I mean what else could it be) and concerns me a little bit about the overall durability of these things, but then ... the price was right. Many people online complain about the thing, but then they also dont know how to fine tune it a little bit. Besides the noises I have no real issues with it

When I first got mine going I would hear an occasional "pop". I assume it was the ice layer forming on the cold plate, then cracking as it defrosted.

I concur. I would check for ice formation on the evaporator plate and adjust the temperature accordingly.

Well, well, well... this morning I had puddles of black oil under the kegerator.

BIG FAT INTERNET FROWNY FACE!!

Luckily, Home Depot had another one at a store not too far from here and I was able to make a clean swap. The first one I had was the floor model and had some dings and dents in it, the new one sparkles! Maybe it won't leak oil, too!

Mine creaks and cracks also. I can tell it's coming from the cold plate though. I tried loosening the screws that hold it to the back wall but it hasn't helped the noise much. Otherwise it works really well but the creaking is rather annoying.

Tried to defrost the cold plate? Have the noises, too, and only since a little ice has been building up.

Back