#1 cool job: brewmaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spunkmeyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/worklife/06/02/cb.cool.pay.jobs/index.html

1. Brewmaster
To put it mildly, a lot of people like to drink beer. It's associated with goods times, 21st birthdays and football games. (In fairness, it's also associated with hangovers the next day.) Who wouldn't want to be the creator of a tasty ale that will be imbibed by many the partygoer? Plus, you get to do taste-testing along the way, which is always fun.
:mug:

It's a damn shame that people who create some of the best beverages on this planet are only making $42k a year!

They have a really odd definition of "pays well." I mean, it's not all about the money, but $42k a year isn't really all that much to really live comfortably (especially with a family). I'm not how many people in the industry would really describe it as "lucrative."

(incidentally, I keep telling my wife... when I get frustrated that she's going to be only working half-time while getting her PhD, to remind me that once she's a tenured college prof I could theoretically quit my job and start brewing for a living. Not that I would do so, but just a dream to keep me going while I'm writing all the checks again!)

It's a damn shame that people who create some of the best beverages on this planet are only making $42k a year!

$42k? Hah! On the upper end they are making 42k. Average is probably closer to $32K, and some make as little as $10 per hour. Their figures might have been skewed by the fairly high paid folks in the BMC world.

Not having a family may influence me saying this, but I could easily live on 32K a year, certainly if it was brewing beer. Getting paid to do something awesome...that's my definition of a perfect life.

Not having a family may influence me saying this, but I could easily live on 32K a year, certainly if it was brewing beer. Getting paid to do something awesome...that's my definition of a perfect life.

Amen to that. I am depending on my social worker girlfriend to be the bread winner in the family.....

(incidentally, I keep telling my wife... when I get frustrated that she's going to be only working half-time while getting her PhD, to remind me that once she's a tenured college prof I could theoretically quit my job and start brewing for a living. Not that I would do so, but just a dream to keep me going while I'm writing all the checks again!)

Ah I remember that plan like it was yesterday...my wife just finished optometry school and off she went....to work on the Indian Reservation for 24k a year.

Ah, the dream - I think of it every day I sit in my office working for corporate America...

Back