Is this dead yeast clumps, or?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komodo

Reaction score
I've never had infections before, and really hate to post an "is this" thread. Yeast was admittedly old but stored well, but may have gotten off to slow start. Wlp802 lager

You can see the other identical starter (same everything) has a bigger fluffier krausen.

image-2774054917.jpg

image-230062923.jpg

image-2681240076.jpg

On further analysis: the ONE difference between the split starter is the jugs. One was a wine jug used for lots of starters before, the other is an apple juice jug I thought had been used before but may be a recent aquire. I'm thinking I didn't leave it in the PBW long enough before the starsan and that may have left residue.

On closer look, that jugs looks a little redder (could just be less yeast flocculating), and most damning is that it smells kinda cidery. The wine jug smells kinda malty. So, what would grow in old cider residue?

I think ill cobble up another clean jug and split the "good one".

there is something growing in the one jug for sure but who knows what it is, looks like a mold of some sort.

there is something growing in the one jug for sure but who knows what it is, looks like a mold of some sort.
That is what I thought but hate to comment off of a picture like that. Outside chance it is hop material cuz it's green I guess.

Rack out from under it and take a closer look if you can.

No hops. These are starters.

EDIT: 12 hours later, the "infected" jug has fired up and the krausen is as big as the other one. Apple cider smell is gone and smells all malty. I'm guessing those may have been esters as the yeast was trying to gain a foothold? Still not sure if the clumps were growth or dead yeast or what.

Made another jug of starter anyway and split it with the "good" jug. So, I guess I have a lot of yeast now.

The brown/green growth doesn't look like any yeast I have seen or know of. I think your first inclination that it is a foreign growth is correct. The yeast may have produced enough alcohol to kill the other organism. It's possible that the yeast is now the dominant organism and that it will make good beer, but I wouldn't chance it.

Latest posts

Back