Double IPA Extract Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinrobinson

Reaction score
I'm hooked on Double IPAs after trying a few really good ones recently. Oddly, I haven't been able to find a straightforward enough extract recipe to try brewing one. Any suggestions on places to get such a recipe are much appreciated. I've been told that double IPAs are basically just doubling the ingredients of a standard IPA recipe.

Double doesn't just mean doubling the ingredients. It's actually a much more loose term for a "bigger" beer - higher ABV, mainly, but also balanced with a bit more malt because there's probably more hops in there as well.

Try also searching for Imperial IPA recipes, they're the same thing (unless I'm misinformed). Or maybe find a specific one you like and try to find a recipe to match it. Yooper has a great Stone Ruination recipe, and there are some good Pliny the Elder clones out there as well. I'd also suggest the Stone Escondidian black IPA recipe that's been going strong on these forums as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

If you find a good extract for an imperial let me know. I'm looking to brew something like this for my next brew!

Steber, I will repost if I find something. SilverZero, thanks for the information. I'll check out your suggestions and see what I come up with. I might just be into the black IPA recipe.

I know MidWest Supplies a kit called Hop Head Double and I believe this is a Double IPA. I just brewed this last night and hope it turns out great. I have only heard good things with this kit. Hope this helps.

I brewed the the Midwest Hop Head Double IPA and it was my best batch in the last 20 or so. As good as commercial beer.

I checked out that Midwest kit, it looks good. It says it's a double, and it's up there - it looks like the extract maths out to a 1.067 OG. If you can get it to dry out to 1.010, that's 7.6% ABV for a 5-gallon batch. Good dose of hops, too, especially the 2oz of Cascades for dry hopping.

You could just clone that ingredient list at the LHBS if you can decide how you want to divide up the hops.

ChessRockwell, that is a great article. Lots of good information in addition to the recipe. Thanks for replying.

Well I'm glad the link worked, that article was one of the most helpful I've ever found in my quest to create the best hoppy beers I can. Good luck!

And yes, you definitely can't go wrong learning from Vinnie!

Funny thing is, I'm on the (way) east coast and still haven't had the opportunity to try Pliny, but that article has helped me to create some really amazing IPA/IIPA's that I've been extremely happy with!

Back