Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would agree on this wholeheartedly.

Without having to re-read through the entire thread please, What's the deal with the second coffee addition?

I'd like to not end up infected. What is the best way to add the second coffee dose??

TD
FWIW, I've done a few batches with coarsely ground beans in secondary and haven't had an infection.

Thanks sweetcell for the great advice. I definitely kept it on the low end during the very active first few days of fermentation to help account for the heat generated. Maybe I'll jack my controller up a degree or two. I haven't even hit 70 yet when on the high end of the cycle.

I do plan to coldbrew some coffee overnight and add to 2ndary. Figure I'll just sanitize my french press and hope for the best.

I really can't wait to brew again. Think I'll make up a batch of Apfelwein on the same day I bottle this stout around xmastime. Cheers!

So I'm approaching 3 weeks in primary and since I'm not planning that secondary coffee addition I"m wondering if there's any reason this shouldn't go straight into bottles and skip secondary fermentation. I've checked the gravity (all looks good) and it tastes great.

Sounds great to me :)

But really how did it turn out? Is it really too much? I've had a couple commercial beers where it was too much, but it takes a lot for me to say that!

kennyg said:
So I'm approaching 3 weeks in primary and since I'm not planning that secondary coffee addition I"m wondering if there's any reason this shouldn't go straight into bottles and skip secondary fermentation. I've checked the gravity (all looks good) and it tastes great.

I like the secondary to drop sediment out as it seems to always drop more if I do one no matter what my primary length, but that's personal preference and I don't filter at all. You can go to bottles now if you want to without any problems. I try to bottle at 4 weeks myself unless I have a reason to do otherwise.

mtnagel said:
Sounds great to me :) But really how did it turn out? Is it really too much? I've had a couple commercial beers where it was too much, but it takes a lot for me to say that!

Coffee ages out. If the rest of the beer is stable, put some away for a year or two and try them then. A lot of the dominating coffee will fade leaving a nice, chocolaty stout flavor, especially when real chocolate is used (baking world common knowledge - a very small amount of coffee will highly accentuate any chocolate in your baked goods)

Sounds great to me :)

But really how did it turn out? Is it really too much? I've had a couple commercial beers where it was too much, but it takes a lot for me to say that!

It's really bitter...and not from the hops.

Coffee ages out. If the rest of the beer is stable, put some away for a year or two and try them then. A lot of the dominating coffee will fade leaving a nice, chocolaty stout flavor, especially when real chocolate is used (baking world common knowledge - a very small amount of coffee will highly accentuate any chocolate in your baked goods)

This is what I'm counting on. Been in the bottle a couple of months and still is way too coffee for me. I used real, unsweetened chocolate. 4-5 oz worth at flameout. IIRC.

I did 4oz of cold brewed coffee in 2gallons of stout recently and thought it was a little too much. If you taste them and think they are too coffee heavy, you can age them a while and the coffee will begin to fade.

I like the secondary to drop sediment out as it seems to always drop more if I do one no matter what my primary length, but that's personal preference and I don't filter at all. You can go to bottles now if you want to without any problems. I try to bottle at 4 weeks myself unless I have a reason to do otherwise.

Thanks! I figure its going to be good either way. Still debating whether to put the coffee into the secondary. I get your point about sedimentation, guess I'm just eager to bottle this bad boy up!

m3n00b said:
This is what I'm counting on. Been in the bottle a couple of months and still is way too coffee for me. I used real, unsweetened chocolate. 4-5 oz worth at flameout. IIRC.

Try it at 6 months to a year. Did you cold press the coffee, or use hot steeped/pressed coffee ???

kennyg said:
Thanks! I figure its going to be good either way. Still debating whether to put the coffee into the secondary. I get your point about sedimentation, guess I'm just eager to bottle this bad boy up!

Then bottle away and pour gently :mug:

Why not the last 10 minutes of the boil? You don't need anything more than a coarse grind for that preparation method and it neatly avoids the issue of sedimentation in the secondary.

Why not the last 10 minutes of the boil? You don't need anything more than a coarse grind for that preparation method and it neatly avoids the issue of sedimentation in the secondary.

No I did add coffee right after the boil was over (never want to boil coffee). What I'm debating in my mind is whether to add the cold pressed coffee to 2ndary or just skip 2ndary altogether and st8 into bottles. Based on how the gravity pull tasted I'm leaning toward just putting it into bottles and skipping 2ndary.
Cheers!:tank:

skip 2ndary altogether and st8 into bottles. Based on how the gravity pull tasted I'm leaning toward just putting it into bottles and skipping 2ndary.

i'd add it to the bottling bucket instead of directly to bottles. first, it's a lot more trouble to dose each bottle individually, vs. adding to bottling bucket just once. and second, depending on your dosing method you could be adding uneven amounts of coffee to the bottles.

The water volume isn't terribly important. You want enough so you get good extraction of the coffee flavors into the water, but not too much to dilute your batch down. Maybe 16 oz of water.

The water volume was going to be my next question. For the flameout addition, I had used 2 oz dried weight and let it steep for 10 minutes before starting my IC process.

For the bottling addtion, I was very curious because I was thinking of my standard coffee brewing measurements - 2 oz of dry coffee is ~ 12 tablespoons (or 6 scoops for me). That's six 6oz cups of coffee for me to drink! I use the 2 tblsp per 6 oz of water ratio. So, I'd have at least 32-35 oz of coffee.

I think I'll go for the pint instead as it was mentioned so I don't kill my current 9.1% :D

With only 16 oz of water used, this baby's gonna be THICK.

Just pulled the first sample from my keg. It's really good. I'm gonna get a 4 pack to try side/side. I think this will continue to improve and is still a bit young but I'd say very drinkable by Christmas which is what I was going for. SWMBO is already digging it half a glass in.

We've been drinking this at Christmas parties the last few days. It's been a big hit all around. Thanks again for the recipe.

The original is awesome at 1 year (had it on tap aged one year by founders). If you can hold off on it, it's worth it.

I filtered out the grounds when I moved from kettle to primary vessel. I usually use a strainer when making that move to get out the hops, etc. I let it steep for 10 minutes then did the filter step.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

This keg kicked yesterday. SWMBO is pretty upset about it. Gonna pick up ingredients for a new batch tomorrow. Really good stuff, thanks again for the recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've had in the keg for 7.5 weeks now. I just built my keezer this week and have shoved it in there but not connected any of the lines....everyone SOUNDS like 4-6 months is where it's best. Is there general agreement on this?

Pipeline Helly, pipeline!! Youve gotta keep your brewing up with your drinkin lol!!

Oh we're not out of beer, just out of this one. Now that I've seen how good this one is, it's going on a regular rotation so we don't run out.

I've had in the keg for 7.5 weeks now. I just built my keezer this week and have shoved it in there but not connected any of the lines....everyone SOUNDS like 4-6 months is where it's best. Is there general agreement on this?
Maybe others will disagree, but it's great in the beginning too. I does change and the coffee fades and the chocolate comes out more later, but it's still good young. I assume you can do it with kegging, but bottling makes it easy to drink some in the beginning and cellar some others.

Maybe others will disagree, but it's great in the beginning too. I does change and the coffee fades and the chocolate comes out more later, but it's still good young. I assume you can do it with kegging, but bottling makes it easy to drink some in the beginning and cellar some others.

This is one of my favorite beers at all ages. I was just reading apparently founders recommends 180 day as a max shelf life for this beer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

I was looking for the KBS release date and came across it. Not saying I agree with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

180 days SHELF life? Wow. That seems odd. But perhaps that's after their own aging process on site?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

It has been tapped. I am enjoying. I expect it will continue to age and let some of that coffee flavor mellow.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

Brewed this last night. Very active fermentation today without a lot of krausen. It smelled pleasant at flameout if you enjoy coffee.

Back