24 Hour Cider Freshness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterBos

Reaction score
I purchased organic, pasteurized cider to make my first batch of hard cider and I am going to add some campden tablets with some extra sugar 24 hours before pitching the yeast with some nutrient.
I am erring on the side of caution when I ask that there is no problems with letting the cider sit at room temps before pitching the yeast, right? And I am suppose to hold off on sealing/using an airlock, right?
Thanks for the Christmas morning help!

I keep my cider at least chilled, it's not quite like apple juice. And my cider goes under airlock instantly, no exceptions

And just to clarify, I am talking about the 24-hours when the campden tablets will be added to the cider and sugars before I pitch the yeast.
Wouldn't the campden tablets, which kills any wild yeasts and molds, protect the cider for that 24-hours prior to pitching? Or do I still need to keep it chilled?

Campden doesn't kill anything, it slows/inhibits reproduction.

And I don't use any of that, so I wouldn't know.

As long as you pitch a sufficient amount of yeast, you should be fine without the campden. The billions and billions of yeast cells you introduce will most certainly outperform any wild strains that may be in there.

Campden doesn't kill anything, it slows/inhibits reproduction.

And I don't use any of that, so I wouldn't know.

Campden kills bacteria and molds, and stuns wild yeast into inactivity. It's very common to keep must at room temperature for 24 hours after adding sulfites to the must before adding yeast. Potassium metabisulfite is the active ingredient in Campden tablets. Its action, in water or wine, inhibits harmful bacteria through the release of sulfur dioxide, a powerful antiseptic. Wine yeast is pretty tolerant of sulfites (that's why winemakers use it) but it's still common to add the yeast 24 hours later as to not stun the yeast.

It can also be used (in a higher concentration) as a sanitizer for equipment and fermenters.

I use one campden tablet per gallon of must (roughly 45-50 ppm of sulfur dioxide) with good results.

Campden kills bacteria and molds, and stuns wild yeast into inactivity. It's very common to keep must at room temperature for 24 hours after adding sulfites to the must before adding yeast.

Thanks Yoop. I figured as much, but it is good to check with everyone before trying something new (i.e. this is my first hard cider).

Yooper said:
Campden kills bacteria and molds, and stuns wild yeast into inactivity. It's very common to keep must at room temperature for 24 hours after adding sulfites to the must before adding yeast. Potassium metabisulfite is the active ingredient in Campden tablets. Its action, in water or wine, inhibits harmful bacteria through the release of sulfur dioxide, a powerful antiseptic. Wine yeast is pretty tolerant of sulfites (that's why winemakers use it) but it's still common to add the yeast 24 hours later as to not stun the yeast.

It can also be used (in a higher concentration) as a sanitizer for equipment and fermenters.

I use one campden tablet per gallon of must (roughly 45-50 ppm of sulfur dioxide) with good results.

I guess I learned something new today.

Yeah, I NEVER put the cider in the fridge after campden, just add it, put the lid on, 24 more hours, I add the yeast, 2 months later, nurse the hangover.

Right, it stuns them, doesn't kill them.

Right, it stuns them, doesn't kill them.

But it does kill bacteria, and mold. So it's always used for fruits when making up a must. And it stuns wild yeast as to make them unable to ferment. Campden is completely effective, in the correct amount.

Wine yeast is special in that it is amazingly tolerant of sulfites- that's why winemakers use campden in the first place, to sanitize the must, and then use their own yeast strain to ferment.

If the juice is pasteurized why add Campden?

Just in case some stray organisms (like wild yeast or lactobacillus) in your kitchen made it into the must when mixing it up. It might be overkill, but it won't harm anything. A kitchen, where many winemakers work, is probably really the worst place in many ways.

But it does kill bacteria, and mold. So it's always used for fruits when making up a must. And it stuns wild yeast as to make them unable to ferment. Campden is completely effective, in the correct amount.

Wine yeast is special in that it is amazingly tolerant of sulfites- that's why winemakers use campden in the first place, to sanitize the must, and then use their own yeast strain to ferment.

Well that part I understand.

Back