Low alpha hops from store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelerguy

Reaction score
So I just purchased all the ingredients from NB for a Belgian Strong Ale I am going to be doing. I purchased 3 oz. of Saaz thinking that should be enough to hit my IBU target of 35. They list the average alpha as being 3.0-4.5%. I got 3 ounces of 2.5%.

I also ordered an ounce of Styrian Golding as a "just in case" the Saaz were low. This came in at 3.5%...they list the range as 4.5-6.0%.

So all said and done, I should be able to hit my target with these hops. I am annoyed though. When you are paying $3-4 an ounce for hops I think they should be in the range listed. Am I am just being a cheap ass here? :)

I just got some of the same Saaz hops from NB. Mine were also 2.5%, which was good in my case as I'm brewing a lambic (after I prematurely age them). :)

That is unfortunate, but you should be able to know the AA% before you order. Where did you order from?

That's also why I like going to my LHBS; I can make adjustments there in case the AA%s are not what I expected from Beersmith. Another way to save a few bucks is to use a high AA% hops in smaller quantities for your bittering hops, and then the aroma hops of your choice. I've got a half ounce of Galena (13% AA) left in my freezer that is left over from bittering two other recipes.

Saaz can be as low as 1%, so I would never plan on using it for bittering. A high AA hop with low cohumulone, like Horizon, would be a better choice.

Latest posts

Back