Sanatizing Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
Right now the process i have for is first soak them in a oxiclean bath for an hour to remove the labels. Then i rinse them with hot water really well and let dry

i then store them until needed in boxes

on the day of bottling i submerge them in a Starsan solution for about 1 min and then let them air dry upside down in a sanitized bucket

Is all this ok? is the oxiclean ok to use? and am i over sanitizing the bottles??

thanks

I always look at bottle sanitizing this way: If you miss a bottle, you've ruined one bottle, if you miss a bucket, you've ruined a batch.

So far I've done neither. I use a jet bottle washer, bleach soak, then jet again to rinse. It doesn't take long if you have a helper.

I just bought my first bottle of starsan so I'm going to use that instead and skip the rinse. In fact, I'm going to do this tonight.

yeah i was worried about the starsan - it seems to leave a lot of bubbles in the bottles

i started poring them out slowly to cut down on the bubbles as much as i could

Revvy said:
the starsan bubbles are good for the yeast, it provides them extra food...Haven't you heard the mantr, "Don't fear the foam!"

i don't believe you on that

blowmax10 said:

It too me a while to get over the foam thing too, but it really is true. I made the turn to trusting it when I heard the inventor drink StarSan on the radio! You have nothing to worry about....

blowmax10 said:

Well you can choose to believe me or not, I don't really give a care, you can use the search function and read the myriad of threads here on the topic, or go over to Star Chemicals website and read the same thing...It's your choice....One of the guys on the forum worked for the company that produced it and has a thread on here....

It can even be consumed with no side effects....

You can even listen to Chuck Talley, the inventor of Star San talk about it on Basic Brewing Radio.....

March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

Revvy said:
Well you can choose to believe me or not, I don't really give a care, you can use the search function and read the myriad of threads here on the topic, or go over to Star Chemicals website and read the same thing...It's your choice....One of the guys on the forum worked for the company that produced it and has a thread on here....

It can even be consumed with no side effects....

You can even listen to Chuck Talley, the inventor of Star San talk about it on Basic Brewing Radio.....

March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

ok - thanks for that pod cast - lots of good info

and looks like you were right

Back