Can I store a big beer in a pepsi keg long term?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggynuts24

Reaction score
Can I store a big beer in a pepsi keg long term? - if so .... what are the techniques?

I brewed a big beer and it is in secondary - where it will sit for another 2 weeks. And i need to age it before bottling (probably 3-4 months)

I don't want to tie up my bottles so i can attempt at an all grain lager.

I recently purchased a pepsi keg --- i have never used one before, i figure a good way to make me wait to drink it is to store it in the pepsi keg until i can afford the rest of the items i need to complete the set up.

should i throw in my priming sugar so it can carbonate and pressurize?

Take the keg apart and clean everything really well. Sanitize, reassemble and check for leaks. Without CO2 this might be tough.. Here's how I'd do it. Rinse really well with very cold water to cool the whole thing down. Then put a gallon of boiling water in and seal the lid quickly. Then shake the hell of it and leave it turned upside down over a paper towel. It will pressurize and try to push the water out. If you get no bubbles anywhere, you know you're good. Yes, I'd put priming sugar in there if you don't plan on having a CO2 tank anytime soon.

Well, I have two barley wines in kegs, one made in 2003 and one in 2005. I'd put a little primer in, but since you plan on bottling, not all of it. A little primer will help hold the seal.

Back