visual indicator of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charch0le

Reaction score
Question: Is there a visual indicator of alcohol content when viewing finished, straight from the bottle beer in a glass? Like bubbles? Lace? I'm drinking my first batch of beer and it tastes great, but I keep second guessing the flavor and alcohol content.

For stronger alcohol content drinks they get "legs", but most normal ABV beers wouldn't have any visual indication. Next brew you can use a hydrometer during and after brewing to you can actually determine the alcohol content of what you've created

second guessing flavor though, that's all up to you!

There are no visual clues to alcohol content in a glass of beer. You might get an idea from the taste... or the headache in the morning. The only way to know the alcohol level in a homebrew, besides sending a sample to a lab, it to take an original gravity reading and a final gravity reading using a hydrometer or refractometer with corrections then plugging the numbers into a calculator.

For stronger alcohol content drinks they get "legs", but most normal ABV beers wouldn't have any visual indication. Next brew you can use a hydrometer during and after brewing to you can actually determine the alcohol content of what you've created

second guessing flavor though, that's all up to you!

huh?

Often big beers like barley wines or big Belgians they have no. head or lacing.

The only way to determine the alcohol content is to take a gravity reading at the beginning(OG) and taking a gravity reading when it is finished (FG)

Then ( OG - FG ). X 131.25= ABV

Back