Buy a dead guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifelee

Reaction score
My wife and I are moving back to the States soon, so we have been selling things on a site called Gumtree. While wandering the site, we ran across this item for sale and am wondering if anyone might be interested?

If you want us to pick it up I ask two things:
1. A life time supply of homebrew, because no way am I getting anywhere near that thing without a hell of a lot of brew.
2. You get your head checked.

What's really creepy is that he's just some guy, you know? It's not like "Famous explorer and collector is selling a mummy", it's like "Your creepy neighbor is selling a dried-out corpse in a case."

"...has his own display cabinet with lighting he would make the centerpiece of any home..."

Any home? This has got to be a joke. The only home I can think of where this would make a good centerpiece is one of those cheesy Halloween haunted houses put on by the local Rotary Club. Otherwise...that's just fugged up. :confused:

Around the turn of the century, it was very fashionable to hold a mummy unwrapping party. The crusty black stuff on the skin of the mummy was thought to be very healthy and was turned into a tonic. The wrappings would be sold to butchers to wrap meat.

That's pretty cheap though isn't it, just about 100 dollars, if my math is correct. It might be a good converstation peice. Or you could make a coffee table out of it and he could be laying there while you watch tv. :D

Vermicous said:
Around the turn of the century, it was very fashionable to hold a mummy unwrapping party. The crusty black stuff on the skin of the mummy was thought to be very healthy and was turned into a tonic. The wrappings would be sold to butchers to wrap meat.
And dude, how and why do you know that, that is just wierd.

Cheers

wop31 said:
That's pretty cheap though isn't it, just about 100 dollars, if my math is correct. It might be a good converstation peice. Or you could make a coffee table out of it and he could be laying there while you watch tv. :D
Sounds good. Expect the dead guy on your door in a few weeks. How long will you need to fill my truck with homebrew?;)

A hundred bucks? You could make your own for next to nothing. A bullet, couple of bags of rock salt, and Jihad day at the local Al Qaeda picnic grounds.

I am actually surprised that it is legal to sell the cadaver (assuming that the guy simply hasn't been caught). I would have thought that you would at least need a collector's license.

Here's my educated guess: Most of the issues surrounding a cadaver are related to disease, disposal, and/or desecration of a corpse. i.e. weirdo's who would steal corpses for sex toys, haunted house props, etc. Since this body was discovered in the late 1800's, disease and bizarre desecration are not much of an issue. So, what you have is a mummy that old enough to be a collectible/museum piece, but not old enough to warrant the attention of any museum. Hence, it's being held in a "private collection".

Back