Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Chocolate Oatmeal Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all i just brewed an 11 gallon batch of this just wanted to check it. looked like motor oil coming out of my mash tun. GREAT!! can't wait for this to be ready. My S.G was 1.058 so i was pretty close to the recipe specs. here are two pics from my brew day, little close to the top of my kettle but i had a nice slow rolling boil so it was all good!

2013-02-16_15-34-20_593.jpg

2013-02-16_16-26-35_348.jpg

Looks good to me!!

I still have a bit of this on tap and man it's holding up well.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I have been looking for a good Coffee Chocolate Vanilla Porter recipe for a while and I think I will use this as a base for my next brew. Is there a place that sells the Dutch Cocoa powder somewhat cheap or should I just use the Hersheys type? Is there a difference? I found a seller on Ebay that does 2oz packages for $3.00 but I don't know if there is a difference in taste vs the Hersheys

I just did this BIAB for my first go around at an all grain attempt. My OG was pretty low at 1.050. I added closer to 4 oz. of cocoa powder as I wanted it to be pretty high on chocolate flavor. Also, I mashed pretty high at 155-156 with a 170 degree mash out. It was really thick going into the fermenter, but I'm hoping that it will thin out a touch over fermentation. Hopefully it turns out well.

Also, as a warning to those using a kettle with a SS braid or similar filter, cocoa makes it nearly impossible to drain. My braid got so messy with cocoa that it wouldn't drain at all, so I ended up just taking it off and draining without filtering (I use hop socks so it wasn't terrible).

I have been looking for a good Coffee Chocolate Vanilla Porter recipe for a while and I think I will use this as a base for my next brew. Is there a place that sells the Dutch Cocoa powder somewhat cheap or should I just use the Hersheys type? Is there a difference? I found a seller on Ebay that does 2oz packages for $3.00 but I don't know if there is a difference in taste vs the Hersheys

Not really sure. I try and use the highest quality or something that is a favorite in my beers. Small batch anyways, the extra money for ingredients isn't going to kill me.

I've used the stuff from the LHBS before in a pinch and it was fine. I'm sure the hersheys will works just as well if you like it.

My favorite is some stuff in a can from Whole Foods, I'm out of it currently, so I can't pass the name along.

I just did this BIAB for my first go around at an all grain attempt. My OG was pretty low at 1.050. I added closer to 4 oz. of cocoa powder as I wanted it to be pretty high on chocolate flavor. Also, I mashed pretty high at 155-156 with a 170 degree mash out. It was really thick going into the fermenter, but I'm hoping that it will thin out a touch over fermentation. Hopefully it turns out well.

Also, as a warning to those using a kettle with a SS braid or similar filter, cocoa makes it nearly impossible to drain. My braid got so messy with cocoa that it wouldn't drain at all, so I ended up just taking it off and draining without filtering (I use hop socks so it wasn't terrible).

Good note on the cocoa. I don't have a filter on my kettle, as I use a SS hop spider.

What little hops are in this recipe, coupled with the cocoa, all of it could go into the fermenter and you'd really have so very little in the bottom.

I've never brewed in a bag before, but this recipe will have a good rich mouthfeel to it, but it won't be like a beer milkshake!

Brewing another batch of this up this weekend. Gonna continue to tweak it a bit. Pretty sure the changes will be good!

Mashing in now on this.

Same recipe I posted in the 1st post, except I removed the Black Patent malt, and instead decided to use 4oz of Debittered Black Malt.

Used English Chocolate malt, and Pale Chocolate malt in it as well. Just clarify for those searching for specific Chocolate Malts.

Going to add 3oz of some great chocolate powder at 20 minutes, debating adding peanut butter powder to the boil, and then adding some to secondary and racking on some broken peanut butter cups for a couple of days as fermentation is ending...

Maybe a #1 of peanut butter... Have a nice Oatmeal Chocolate Peanut butter Porter for the spring!

3A78BBDB-856E-4728-880F-39FAFEC84317-2487-000004021B73A934_zps7692bf2f.jpg

Mmm.. Good smelling mash!

Draining the tun. Motor oil goodness!

D83952A2-4AB1-4E3C-9C0B-FB4D001DDF24-2487-00000406CB86D8EF_zps58562e76.jpg

Last time I made this I added 1/2 pound honey malt and it added a great taste I compared to bottle of original recipe and its a nice touch. The peanut butter sounds great

Last time I made this I added 1/2 pound honey malt and it added a great taste I compared to bottle of original recipe and its a nice touch. The peanut butter sounds great

Wow, thats alot of honey malt!

I'm gonna do .5# of peanut butter with 3 oz of chocolate powder to the boil. Skip the vanilla bean this go around, and dry hop it with Reese PB Cups near the end of primary next week.

It may have been 4 oz I have to check my notes when I get home but it was a nice touch. I will be following this thread to see your results. This is one of my favorite beers I have had friends offer to buy some off me lol I have a keg in my temp controlled fridge along with a lager at lagering temps can't wait to tap it. I have made this three times already :)

Wow.. 3 times eh?

It's a nice easy porter to make I think. Everyone loves a roasty chocolate porter. Easy drinker any time of the day!

I'm about done with the boil.. Adding my Chocolate at 10min, and adding the peanut butter powder at flame out.

Can't decide how I want to approach any later additions.. More PB powder, or maybe try crushing up some PB cups and putting them into the primary for a while. I don't bother secondary, and will send it straight to the keg.

Yeah three times lol first one didn't last long second one didn't either I did bottle a few from both batches to age a little to see difference third batch is aging now waiting for the keg to kick to take its spot back

Hey guys, I dont have WY 1968, but do have english ale yeasts 1469PC Yorkshire and 1099 Whitbread. Any suggestions on which one would be best suited?

Cheers

Whitbread might be pretty good. I've never used Yorkshire myself.

You want something to bring out the malts.

I added a 1/2# of PB2 to my last batch of this, and changed the recipe a bit to add more Chocolate malt and subbed the Black Patent out for debittered Black malt.

Man...

Taste like a roasty PB cup.....

FATC1TY said:
I added a 1/2# of PB2 to my last batch of this, and changed the recipe a bit to add more Chocolate malt and subbed the Black Patent out for debittered Black malt.

Man...

Taste like a roasty PB cup.....

Sounds very interesting man I need to try that lol

Sounds very interesting man I need to try that lol

It's excellent. I like it alot. The vanilla version is very good, but I enjoyed this one. The black malt adds a nice roasty note that isn't acrid like the BP malt can be in some cases. The addition of more pale chocolate makes it very "milk chocolate" like.

It could use more PB in it, I started light with 1/2 at flame out and dumped all the trub into the fermenter so it would sit on the PB for 2.5 weeks.

Nice change up for sure.

hey, when did you add the cocoa to the boil? original recipe has no minute value. cheers

cheers man. I would like to brew this tomorrow but it's raining all weekend. I will make it ASAP for the upcoming winter. Also, could I swap out the Wyeast for Nottingham?

I'm not a fan of nottingham, so I wouldn't say it would be the same.. But you could try?

The yeast is what really makes the body of this beer pop. You could probably use the Whitbread strain, which is US04, and have great results if you want to use dry yeast.

I'm about to mash in on this for the second time. I still have some in the keg from the first batch, but I thought I would mix things up a bit. A chocolate coconut oatmeal porter sounds like an alcoholic mounds bar so I thought I'd give it a try. 4 oz roasted coconut at 10 min in the boil, and 8 oz "dry hopped" in the secondary. It will be amazing.

Great recipe!

Thanks for the kind words. Like I said.. it's a great base porter, easy to drink and taste great. But it's a great base to play with.

Coconut sounds good.. Maybe even take some oak and soak in rum, and age it for a little bit!

I did vanilla beans, and loved it. Did peanutbutter and was over the moon with it.

Next up.. I'm gonna do some bourbon aged oak, with vanilla beans.

so I threw this down last weekend, followed the original recipe but used Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley. I got a cheap pack that was old shelf stock, was a bit worried that the starter didn't show any signs of life over 3 days but 2 days after pitching to the Porter wort it's bubbling nice and steady (music to my ears)

thanks for sharing the recipe, I might put 5L into another vessel and put in a vanilla pod or two!

Nice to hear!!

Let us know how the 1275 comes out in this recipe. I'd suspect it will be good, but it's always nice to hear other yeast usage.

People can brew this with US04 if they like dry yeast, I personally like that the London ESB yeast is a fantastic yeast, that leaves a nice clean malty profile to this beer, and clears perfectly.

Toss in a vanilla bean or two, you'll really enjoy it!

took a sample tonight, tastes rather bitter and maybe a bit astringent. Not sure if it is infected, but definitely not like anything I've made before. Will give it a 3rd week in primary before doing anything yet.

Interesting...

I can't say of the batches I've made, this beer would toss a bitter note, since the hops are pretty low. There's some roasty malts there that could make it appear bitter like black coffee to some... Astringent... can't say I've gotten that..

Do you do any water additions? check PH?

Infection could be, but without a sign of it, I'd be hardpressed to peg it as an infection myself.

Could be the yeast choice? Doubtful.

Brewed this yesterday-
Followed the recipe for the most part.

Accidently added 2 pounds of flaked oats , was not paying attention my brew shop sells it in one pound bags and added both.

also added a jar of pb2 during the last 5 minutes of boil instead of the Dutch cocoa powder.

I got about 6 gallons in the carboy @ 1.064

I'll report back with updates

Thanks for the recipe

meshbackhats said:
Brewed this yesterday-
Followed the recipe for the most part.

Accidently added 2 pounds of flaked oats , was not paying attention my brew shop sells it in one pound bags and added both.

also added a jar of pb2 during the last 5 minutes of boil instead of the Dutch cocoa powder.

I got about 6 gallons in the carboy @ 1.064

I'll report back with updates

Thanks for the recipe
No worries on the oats. I've done 2 pounds as well and it just makes it even slicker and smooth.

The pb2 was nice. I have that on tap now. I did it with chocolate too so its like a Reese's.

No worries on the oats. I've done 2 pounds as well and it just makes it even slicker and smooth.

The pb2 was nice. I have that on tap now. I did it with chocolate too so its like a Reese's.

I actually added the Pb2 with premium chocolate- I'll see how that does... I was hopin for something of a reese. Not sure how much of the flavor will come though after reading a bunch of PB2 threads.

I actually added the Pb2 with premium chocolate- I'll see how that does... I was hopin for something of a reese. Not sure how much of the flavor will come though after reading a bunch of PB2 threads.

Just a note, don't leave anything in the fermenter, dump it all! The PB powder will go with it, instead of settling in the pot and will help keep the flavor in the primary.

My PB flavor is really light now, but it was nice early on for the first... 2-3 weeks.

FATC1TY said:
This beer is a GREAT base Porter. Has a very, very balanced profile to it. Very drinkable, even among people who are afraid of dark beers!

Recipe: ALL GRAIN

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.68 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 42.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 67.6 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 11.3 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.6 %
11.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.2 %
8.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt Grain 6 3.8 %
6.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.8 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 21.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 11.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Dutch Cocoa Powder- Boil 10.0 min
1.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast 11 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 5.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 18.64 qt of water at 163.5 F 153.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.02gal, 4.09gal) of 168.0 F water

I fermented mine out, and added 2 vanilla beans to secondary. Added a great finish to the beer. If you want more chocolate flavor, up the addition, but I think 2 oz is enough to give a hint to it, but not overpower it.

This is a great beer, not extremely chewy, but has plenty of smoothness to it that it slide down easy.. Very easy drinker.

I get compliments on this all the time, and have converted plenty of people who aren't craft drinkers and who think dark beers are scary.. They tell me that are indeed scary.. but scary good!!

Looks amazingly decadent

see you in 6 weeks.

I bottled this tonight. The vanilla portion - I think I used to much vodka to extract as it tasted a bit like ethanol. The vodka flavour took right over and really drowned out everything else, couldn't really even taste the vanilla. Luckily it was only 4.5L of the batch so the rest was fine. The bulk tasted quite good but still quite bitter. The chocolate really comes through well. I look forward to drinking this once conditioned.

I bottled this tonight. The vanilla portion - I think I used to much vodka to extract as it tasted a bit like ethanol. The vodka flavour took right over and really drowned out everything else, couldn't really even taste the vanilla. Luckily it was only 4.5L of the batch so the rest was fine. The bulk tasted quite good but still quite bitter. The chocolate really comes through well. I look forward to drinking this once conditioned.

Did you do the hop additions correctly?

I don't know where you are getting the bitter from.. The roasted malts and the black patent will give a slightly dry, maybe astringent type of flavor, but the chocolate malts and the sweetness of the finish pretty much balance it out.

It's hopped to style, but it could be bitter if you don't drink stouts/porters.

Do you drink IPA's?

I used one addition of Goldings at 60mins. It's more astringent that bitter maybe, it's a really sharp initial after taste. I've been drinking stouts since I can remember, this is quite different. It's not bad, but I do think it strays from the intended outcome of this recipe. I'll check in once it is conditioned in 3 weeks.

After soaking the vanilla beans in vodka do you add the beans or the vodka to the secondary?

After soaking the vanilla beans in vodka do you add the beans or the vodka to the secondary?

If you've soaked for any period of time, I would dump it all in. You've made pretty much homemade vanilla extract if you soaked the beans. Thats why you've got to be a bit careful adding TOO much vodka. I've used bourbon, as it's already got a bit of vanilla flavor to it from the oak it's been in.

You can try adding the beans, and then half your vodka extract and then taste the beer. If you don't sense any harsh vodka flavors, add more. All the flavor will for the most part, be in the vodka.

Be sure your beans are cut and split open when you add them.. Give it a week and taste it..

Back