Moving my keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ransley

Reaction score
I want to move my 5 gallon keg to another persons house for a party. I've completed secondary fermenting and I'm worried that if I move it I could disturb the sediment and make the beer cloudy.Is there any way I can move it without doing that?, could I put it in another container or bottles leaving the sediment or would that make it flat?

If you just need a couple of gallons, you can put it in some jugs and it will be okay for a few hours as long as it's chilled. Otherwise, you can bottle some using a counter pressure bottle filler and it will stay carbonated.

sorry i'm very new to home brewing, what is a counter pressure bottle filler and how expensive are they?

Ransley said:
I want to move my 5 gallon keg to another persons house for a party. I've completed secondary fermenting and I'm worried that if I move it I could disturb the sediment and make the beer cloudy.Is there any way I can move it without doing that?, could I put it in another container or bottles leaving the sediment or would that make it flat?

Did you leave your dip tube full length? If so, just purge the sediment off before moving it. Once the sediment is gone, there's not much to stir up.

Scott makes a good point. I use kegs as my secondaries and drawn off a pint or two to clean things up before aging. Counterflows are about $80 US.

Back