carbs and calories.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termite760

Reaction score
Any idea how to figure the carbs and/or calories for home brew? I've used kits so far. not sure if it matters.

Seriously, drinking beer will make you fat if you don't cut calories elsewhere or work out. No carb or calorie counting needed. Accept it, and find ways to work around it.

It's not just carbs in beer that can make you fat. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram.

For reference, carbs and protein have 4 cal/gram each and fat has 9 cal/gram.

most of my beers in beersmith for 12 oz range from 180 and 300 calories each, depending on alcohol content and some specialty grains/adjuncts etc.

My first year of making homebrew, i got real doughy. You should make sure you are doing new or extra workouts to avoid loosing your health. it sneaks up on you!

Um, I'd like to die healthy. More to the point, I'd like to be able to stand up, climb a few flights of stairs without losing my breath, and continue to do other basic things as I age.

Anyway, the whole calorie counting things is not for everyone. If you're putting back a sufficient number of beers to get significantly chubbier, you either need to exercise more, cut out junk or other high calorie foods, or both. No need to make it complicated, unless you can't make it work otherwise. Some people need that structured approach to make things work, and that's fine. I don't want to give the impression that it's not. I guess I'm just not one of those people.

Back