Wild Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-TPM-

Reaction score
So I was messing around with agar plates leaving a few outside for a few hours to see what I got. At first there wasn't much, but after a few days I had one that had something that looked like yeast so I streaked another plate with it, that also too k a long time to grow anything noticeable. I then took a single colony and put that in a slant, waited about a week for that to grow and made a small sterile starter for it. That's been going for about 2 weeks now and is just starting to show signs of life.

Does this sound like Brett to you guys? I know it tends to be slow.

Also what would be the best use for it? I assume I can't just use this as it's so slow, would I ferment with yeast first then add this?

Is there anything else I should know/worry about?

Its gonna be hard to tell if its Brett just based on a slow growth. Another possibility is that it just doesn't like growing on your agar plates, either based on a lack of nutrients that its looking for or an incorrect nutrient. That being said, I wouldn't go tossing it out. Give it time to finish up the starter and give it a taste. If it tastes decent, consider making up a small batch (1 gal?) and pitch some in. If you're worried about it actually finishing fermenting that small batch, if you've got another sample of yeast laying around you could use that to primary ferment your small batch and then pitch your wild yeast like you would brett in a secondary. Give it plenty of time and patience, then if it tastes good build it up from there :D.

Back