Maris Otter - always "better"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Given the choice between Maris Otter and other 2-row pale malts, is it always advisable to go for the MO when brewing ales? I know it generally costs more, but is that the only reason not to use it?

Depends on the style. If you are brewing an American style ale, there is really no need to go with an English Pale malt. If you are brewing English styles, it can be better. Its not necessarily a requirement.

Given the choice and no difference in price, I would chose MO 99% of the time. There are few style that you really need the paler malt but most will do very well with the MO.

Depends on the style. If you are brewing an American style ale, there is really no need to go with an English Pale malt. If you are brewing English styles, it can be better. Its not necessarily a requirement.

"no need to", but should it be avoided in American ales?

"no need to", but should it be avoided in American ales?

No, it can easily be used in American styles. I don't think anyone would taste an APA with MO, I doubt they would say you used the wrong malt. Given the price it is not necessary.

I changed my Foreign Extra Stout from regular English Pale 2 Row to Marris Otter. Although I did change a couple more things, hopefully it turns out even better than the first.

Given the choice between Maris Otter and other 2-row pale malts, is it always advisable to go for the MO when brewing ales? I know it generally costs more, but is that the only reason not to use it?

Pils is very advisable depending on the style. Most Continental beers would benefit from a pils from their respective region.

If choosing between pale ale malt and MO pale ale malt, you can swap those out at will. I just buy MO in bulk and have MAYBE a little more biscuit/bready taste in my American ales. It's pleasant.

I am a big fan of MO, and use it in place of 2-row in a lot of my recipes. Nothing wrong with subbing it out, but MO is not right for all styles. I use it quite a bit in my APAs, and IPAs that I brew.

I use Belgian pils malt for most of my recipes (Dingemans). I only use MO for English style ales, and only use American 2-row on a select few American Ales I have done.

I generally prefer the Belgian Pilsner, I think it has great flavor.

I am a big fan of MO, and use it in place of 2-row in a lot of my recipes.

Hah, i got a kick out of this...I think most of us would use more Marris Otter if we were dealing the stuff...let's see, walk out to warehouse w/ plentiful sacks of grain everywhere, make tough decision...domestic two row or Marris Otter???

My LHBS

Marris Otter $68/sack
Dom 2 row $41/sack

Not that 27 bucks is gonna kill me, but almost 70 bucks for a sack of grain...ouch.

Hah, i got a kick out of this...I think most of us would use more Marris Otter if we were dealing the stuff...let's see, walk out to warehouse w/ plentiful sacks of grain everywhere, make tough decision...domestic two row or Marris Otter???

My LHBS

Marris Otter $68/sack
Dom 2 row $41/sack

Not that 27 bucks is gonna kill me, but almost 70 bucks for a sack of grain...ouch.

*shrug*

I use MO in all my pale ale recipes and batches come out to around $12 - $18 for everything, including hops, grain and yeast. And I pick up my MO for about that. No warehouse here, just bulk buy hops and dry yeast that gets rinsed and reused.

Back